The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Fan Kit Wiring Advise.

a98pmalcolm

Hello.

If you have or can get 3 automotive relays you can wire the fans to run at 50% speed (fans in series) at ignition (or a second lower range temp sensor or whatever you wish) and when the oem temp sensor kicks in the fans switches to 100% speed (fans in parallel). Toyota Celicas have this setup from factory. If you like I can make a diagram or you can google Celica wiring manual.

Or did you mean something else? :taped:

Ric, my toyota had a viscous fan and 2 smaller e-fans. The e-fans are triggered by both the temp sensor and a/c.

Hope this helps.

This is how i wired mine using a relay, work perfectly

Diagram shows one single fan, but same wiring applies by simply joining the 2 fans together

Some people wire each fan to its own relay so if one stops you have a backup

[ATTACH=CONFIG]207982[/ATTACH]

Is that using the stock thermostat?

No sorry forgot to add, by thermostat it means the "temp control sensor" added to the radiator

Maybe you could use the stock thermostat, im not sure someone will have to confirm that but mine use its own sensor in the bottom of the radiator

This is how it basically works in a Celica

Celica fan control.jpg

Obviously switch 1 need to be on for switch 2 to work. If not only 1 fan will be at 100%. Switch 1 and 2 can be whatever that suits your needs.

Switch 1 can be ignition and 2 can be a dry signal from where the small fan was connected for example.

Not a bad idea because the small fan is triggered by both a/c pressure switch and oem temp switch. At least in my Toyota.

I agree that wiring both fans directly (depends on the fans max current consumption off course or use a relay) to the small fan connector would be the simplest solution.

Edited by Kunny (see edit history)

No sorry forgot to add, by thermostat it means the "temp control sensor" added to the radiator

Maybe you could use the stock thermostat, im not sure someone will have to confirm that but mine use its own sensor in the bottom of the radiator

Were did you add it too? I cant remember if the mishimoto rad had a spare hole for one. May have.. And what temp control sensor did you use?

Thanks

Mines a Whifbitz rad and i got the sensor from Whifbitz at the same time

Rad has a threaded hole for the sensor just above the drain plug

Not familiar with the Mishimoto rad so i cant comment on whether it has a hole or not, i assume it would as they sell a twin fan kit to go with the rad?

I now use one of these http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KLM2150 in conjunction with the OEM stat in the bottom of the rad. The fan on the turbo side of the rad is controlled by the electronic stat and set a few ° below the switching temp of the one in the rad. The stock one in the bottom of the rad isn't ideal to control both fans as things are getting pretty hot by the time it switches, but as a secondary precaution its good. I have put the next fan size up on the turbo side too to help things a bit further, the shroud needs chopping to fit one.

I did have something like one of these for a while:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kenlowe+fan+electronic+thermostat&espv=2&biw=1024&bih=677&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1kvr456PKAhUGuxQKHTowB5YQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=rHvrZY9_CnnDGM%3A but didn't get on with it as I could never really get a 100% seal around the top hose where the capillary bulb went in despite using the correct seal. I also tried a sensor in a hard top hose controlling a relay, that was ok but the kenlowe one from Rimmer's is a nice compromise imo.

CW will be along soon as I know he hates these electric fan solutions, do a search as he has gone to some length to explain why.

I've just brought a Mishimoto Twin Fan and the Fan Controller kit (they sell this seperately).

It's basically wired up the same as berg's, but they have a video on their site which explains it all anyway, it looks pretty easy. I'm yet to install mine.

Did you get the kit with the probe or the 1/8" NPT style temperature sensor?

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I think for the sake of £70 or so i may go for the mishimoto wiring kit for it kinda would have liked to take advantage of syvecs. My email romain and ask him if it can be controlled via it easier.

If you've already got a Syvecs, use a digital switched output to trigger the relay (or two) at specific temperatures.

You can use the existing CLT sensor in the waterneck for that, it'll already be wired in to the ECU.

No he won't, my New Year's resolution is to let people make retrograde mods in the name of stance and style, and keep quiet, life's too short, and it should be obvious an huge ducted engine driven fan will outperform toy like electric motor driven things ;)

Oh go on, its 12 days into the year now and that's way too long to keep a resolution 😊

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I think for the sake of £70 or so i may go for the mishimoto wiring kit for it kinda would have liked to take advantage of syvecs. My email romain and ask him if it can be controlled via it easier.

You can use the syvecs to control the fans, I wired in 2 relays (one for each fan) that are switched on with a spare injector output

The stock Supra rad has a temp sensor in the bottom tank. Normally closed, it opens to power a relay, or maybe unground an ecu input, never really had cause to see how it is wired Do these aftermarket rads not have the tapped hole for the stock sensor? Hell, if so, all the sensor wiring should already be there, just check if the sensor controls a relay or the ecu, and if a relay check it can handle enough current. If an ecu input just use it instead to control a relay.

The stock Supra rad has a temp sensor in the bottom tank. Normally closed, it opens to power a relay, or maybe unground an ecu input, never really had cause to see how it is wired Do these aftermarket rads not have the tapped hole for the stock sensor? Hell, if so, all the sensor wiring should already be there, just check if the sensor controls a relay or the ecu, and if a relay check it can handle enough current. If an ecu input just use it instead to control a relay.

They do, well the Fluidyne one does anyhow and the stock sensor fits. The relay is one of the 2 on the RH side of the crash bar, and as you say its a N/C sensor, I guess to act as a failsafe in case it gets unplugged etc, there is also another sensor in the same circuit and that's in the AC, that sensor too is N/C I can't remember what temperature the stock sensor comes in at, but I felt it was a bit high so went with a larger fan on the turbo side coming in at a lower temperature a bit before the stock one. I rarely hear the second one come in. I think the Mishimoto shroud is the same construction as all the others available, if so there is a small gap all around the edge between the shroud itself and the rad. IMO this should be plugged or the fans simply draw air in from this gap and not through the rad itself.