The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has Anybody fitted an iPad Mini in their Supra to display Syvecs info?

C12MMO

Im looking at installing an iPad mini in my car to display the Syvecs readouts using the Bluetooth module.

Has anybody else done this?

Is it advisable? Or would I be better off using a toucan?

My Idea is to have it mounted inside the arm rest and just have a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge on show.

I was just going to use my phone but figured I may have issues pairing the devices and will only have a small screen.

I was thinking that the Syvecs would take car of any issues and these could be flagged up using an audible signal on the iPad and I could then stop the car safely if needed and any issues would be flagged up and documented on the iPad?

Or is the point of the Bluetooth adapter just to enable the logs to be pulled without connecting a laptop?

No, the Bluetooth module is for display, I'm not sure if you can pull logs that way.

I don't think you can pin protect maps, rename maps etc using the Bluetooth module. I haven't seen a direct comparison, so hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable can confirm the differences.

But for me, the thing that sealed my decision to go with a Toucan was there was next to no price difference all things accounted for, I didn't want a tablet stuck on my dash, and I didn't want to loose the stereo.

I know people have used a tablet instead of a double din headunit, and in some respects it works well. But touchscreen stereo controls are a PITA when driving :)

I wonder if any of the double din android headunits are compatible with the Syvecs Bluetooth module?

To answer a few questions regarding the BT module.

You can name calibration and traction switch outputs, currently the CAL and TRC switching is done by connecting two of the outputs on the BT module to your CAL and TRC inputs on the ECU. At a later date this should be software based like the Toucan, needs a firmware change on ECU.

There is no pin lock on map switching at present, this along with logging exports are on the todo list :D

Interesting discussion.

I am thinking about taking the app radio route to totally clean up the dash and am wondering whether it will display via bluetooth, to phone to radio. The toucan is great but really its just a display at the end of the day. I leave the car in high boost 95% of the time so there is nothing to change. If something were to go wrong with the car, syvecs just does it's thing and the toucan will just show you a fault the ECU gives it. That won't necessarily be the issue and you need the logs to check, but logs can't be pulled from the toucan you need a laptop anyway.

Advantages for the app radio would be cleaner look, having you're display and keeping the stereo too. Has anyone done this yet ?