The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member, Picking up MkIV supra today

Guest frankw

Morning all,

I am picking up my MkIV today.. Twin Turbo late 1994 model which has had work done (need to have a good read of the paperwork) but has been sitting on a drive way for a couple of years and only started on very rare occasions..

The car itself needs a good tidy up and although the car does start straight away when the battery is charged and when I last looked at it I have wondered if things like the timing belt on Supra's are prone to perishing without use and by how much even if they were changed before it got left..

The idea is to get it back and give it a good service etc before getting the MOT sorted including changing belts and fluids as needed but I think we are going to have to start it to move it due to space restrictions and although I only want to run it for a minimum amount of time how risky is it..

Cheers

Welcome! timing belts on any car will perish over time, just like the tyres will sitting there, if I were you id get it home, get the timing belt parts and give it a complete service so youll be driving a problem free car

-engine oil, filter and coolant

-spark plugs

-power steering, brake fluid

-if its an auto id do the oil and diff oil from my experience of buying and running a supra that's sat a long time

-and brake pads. they perish over time to

Welcome! timing belts on any car will perish over time, just like the tyres will sitting there, if I were you id get it home, get the timing belt parts and give it a complete service so youll be driving a problem free car

-engine oil, filter and coolant

-spark plugs

-power steering, brake fluid

-if its an auto id do the oil and diff oil from my experience of buying and running a supra that's sat a long time

-and brake pads. they perish over time to

Also best to check the crank pulley

Congrats on the purchase :thumbs:

Well it all did not go to plan.. The old boy who has the car would not sell it to me earlier in the year but then contacted my father in law (who lives close by) to say he would hence the reason I organised to go round.. Got there and he had decided he wanted more for it but as he had moved it from where it was slightly protected and left it to the elements more problems came to light..

The brakes were solid, it looks like a rat had decided to get into and nest in the boot, the rear aero spoiler had cracked and the lacquer had cracked on the front bumper allowing water in underneath. The battery he had charged over night did not seem to have enough juice to start the car and even after trying a jump off our 4 x 4 and a new battery the car would not have any of it.. It sounded like it was priming the fuel pump but would not even try to do kick over..

Basically he has let it rot and still thinks he will get money close to a full tidy example just because of the mods put on by the previous owner.. Unless he takes a lot less for it as a non runner this one will be going no where and the money is going somewhere else..

Cheers all..