The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZGTE Crank Pulley Options

MattP

Im due to change the crank pulley on the Supra and need some advise on what is the best route from what I can see I have a choice of 3 different Pulleys which I have listed below.

Titan ATI Super Damper- these seem to be rebuildable and will have a 10 year life at my current power level however some people report they are not a direct fit and need some sort of modification to initially fit they also use a different belt to stock.

Fluidampr- I have little information on this pulley other than Lee@ SRD says he always fits these

Stock Toyota- Limits of this are not very conclusive

My current power level is BPU but this will probably change over the next 2-4 years to 600hp-800hp so witch pulley should I be going for?

(I am aware of the £90-£100 stock reproduction pulley on ebay which was mentioned on here a while ago but im not interested in going that way on such an important part.

I don't see how different levels of power would negatively affect a crank pulley? Maybe if you were using a belt driven supercharger.

The stock crank pulleys are very good. They aren't designed to last forever, but they do last a long time, and are very reliable. Ifnyou changed it even every 10 years, I doubt you'd have a failure.

I would assume that the benefits of 'uprated' pulleys are more dependent on the cars use than the engine output.

Racecars, that spend alot of time with high rpms would possibly benefit from running a pulley that is less susceptible to wear and heat damage.

I would assume that the benefits of 'uprated' pulleys are more dependent on the cars use than the engine output.

Racecars, that spend alot of time with high rpms would possibly benefit from running a pulley that is less susceptible to wear and heat damage.

Quite right about racecar use, to the point I think the staff at Santa pod check some powerful cars to ensure they have upgraded pulleys to prevent the stock giving way at the track.

I also have a Fluidampr pulley, and as it is a one piece unit I cannot see the sense in going back to stock. I have also been told ATI pulleys require machining to fit.

Power level will have no impact, its the overall dynamic vibration damping effect that would be the deciding factor on which to use, and unless you going to change the crankshaft/reciprocating mass dynamics and/or drastically increasing the rev limit the std option should be fine, if you are then do some more research into the others as regards to the points I have mentioned above.

Febest, made in Estonia. Got one on my na, seen them on tt's to. Dont see any problems putting one on a tt bpu. Id only be worried when making stupid amounts of power and look towards a titan motorsports one. can get them for £50 delivered of ebay

So the cons of using a solid damper will probably include increased wear to the crank, block, bearings and associated seals?

Given that some of the aftermarket pulleys are also dampened, what real benefit will they be over stock? Or do they use a different method to achieve the same dampening force?

Febest, made in Estonia. Got one on my na, seen them on tt's to. Dont see any problems putting one on a tt bpu. Id only be worried when making stupid amounts of power and look towards a titan motorsports one. can get them for £50 delivered of ebay

I have seen them but I don't fancy fitting an important part on the cheap cheap I have allot invested in the car I wouldn't sleep knowing that pulley is an unknown quantity.

I keep coming back to the same point that Toyota must have had substantial R&D into the crank harmonic dampening needs at all available Revs so as long as I am not seeking extended rev ranges a stock unit replaced at earlier intervals IE:every 6-8 years should be fine.

But then again I keep coming back to the Fluidampr.

Stock-rubber=varied lifespan

ATI-Elastomer=10 years requires a rebuild. Apparently these pulleys have better dampening property's for extended rev range engines.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/damper_tech.htm

Fluidampr-some sort or silicon fluid hybrid?= apparently last the life of the engine and have the best broad range dampening properties.

http://www.fluidampr.com/what/how-does-a-fluidampr-damper-work-55/

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

That's the plan now.

My local parts supplier will do genuine new Toyota crank pulleys for £214.

Nobody seems to actually have any technical basis for which to buy anything different as far as I can see other than having a one piece unit.

Just an opinion but the cheaper stock type outlets I believe are 'blanks' and potentially not fully balanced.

All genuine Toyota pulleys have a number of dimples around the face of the inner ring, the 'blanks' have none in the pictures I've seen.

How important it is I don't know, just an observation.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

I have been using import car parts for bits since 2007 they import parts in bulk. They usually come in cheaper than elsewhere and are on my doorstep so I can pick up in person which is always nice.

As per my first post I won't touch random unproven parts that are for important functions although I once bought some 99p sidelights off fleabay.