The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto conversion?

Wjswingler

I'm not sure where to go and what the best cost effective option is on getting a manual transmission for my Supra.

It's currently a NA Automatic but I'm wanting to put in a manual gearbox as apparently the torque converter sucks up alot of the power and I'm a believer in a manual being a 'drivers' thing!

Looking at costs, I'm seeing about 3-4k to get the conversion going and I think that's just absurd. I've seen other supras for sale around 4-5k manual NA's but I dont particularly want to sell mine as I've gotten rather attached to it and I know that everything is good with it and I dont want to buy possibly something that might cost me alot of money in repairs.

So what do I do? Do I sell my car and get a manual? Get a conversion or just stick with the Auto? It's a 4 speed and I would like more power from it so maybe the Stage 2 autobox might be the way to go? (Not sure how many gears it has)..

As I am looking for a TT conversion too, I think spending 4k on a manual conversion and a further 4k on Turbos sounds like a colossal waste when I could pick up a TT Manual for that price!

--

Not sure whether to put this here or not but I'm wondering what people would realistically be willing to pay for my car. I am NOT looking to sell immediately but it might help me with my decision on what to do..

As stated,

It's an 1995 Auto NA

Cover around 115,000km (72k I think)

A few weeks ago it had it's Cambelt changed along with bearing in the tensioner, oil filter and housing gaskets

Tyres are good but wheels do need a referb

MOT for another 8 months no advisories

No dents or scratches but rear bumper has cracks under the lights from what I believe might be weather?

New Vibe air speakers

It's got flappy panel

Ignore the cracked front plate, that's now been replaced. I haven't got any pictures of the interior, I can get some but it's a pain as the garage is so narrow, it was a pain to park it!

Supra 1.jpg

Supra 2.jpg

Supra 4.jpg

Supra 7.jpg

Supra 8.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

Get your headlights cleaned up. There are guides on here and elsewhere on the Internet, the car will look much better for it.

If you get the wheels refurbished and the bumper sprayed, you could probably stick it up for sale for £4k, with a view to getting £3.5k.

It's a clean, stockbody car with tasteful wheels. Just what people want :)

Sorry, I couldn't get past the "more power from my NA" part of your thread... ;)

When you say buy some twin turbos, you're going to need a hell of a lot more than just slapping a pair of tubbies on to your block.

As mentioned theres a whole lot of guides both on here and on the www.

The cheaper NA manuals you see for sale are probably 5 speeds, the 6 speed Getrag box is a lot rarer and more expensive.

I own an Auto TT BPU and I can safely say I am very happy with the power and gearbox. You'll be surprised and it could save you a few pennies in the long run.

I own an Auto TT BPU and I can safely say I am very happy with the power and gearbox. You'll be surprised and it could save you a few pennies in the long run.

I also do, and i find sometimes i love it and sometimes i really want a manual conversion.. Most of this is down to it being a weekend car, as a daily auto is fine.

£4k on a manual conversion? Only if you got a 6 speed

Just get a W58 5 speed manual conversion as found on the n/a, can be had for around £1200 some alot less

Even when/if you decide on a TT engine conversion it should be fine at that power level, many run them including myself

Buying an n/a auto and doing a 6 speed conversion and then a TT conversion is pointless as you wont save much money over buying a TT6 outright, but it WILL be worth less to sell on later

I also do, and i find sometimes i love it and sometimes i really want a manual conversion.. Most of this is down to it being a weekend car, as a daily auto is fine.

You're driving it wrong then... lol :p

I must admit, my Supe took a battering last year what with Dragonball, Applecross and a few other events and I must admit, that auto box in manual mode is such a capable tool. On the Scottish twisties up in the Highlands, it only required 2nd and 3rd gear to have a fair bit of fun :D

If I ever swap I'll probably go for a Titan built box or the 7 speed DCT conversion, funds depending.

Ha yeah maybe i am.

My job is basicslly to teach people to drive fast so when i drive on a road i tend to be sensible! I think my auto is a bit iffy also as it thuds if i change down in manual unless im really precise with the revs... Also my main gripe is the gearing with the auto. Dct i thought looked amazing untill i sae the price tag.

Ha yeah maybe i am.

My job is basicslly to teach people to drive fast so when i drive on a road i tend to be sensible! I think my auto is a bit iffy also as it thuds if i change down in manual unless im really precise with the revs... Also my main gripe is the gearing with the auto. Dct i thought looked amazing untill i sae the price tag.

Yeah, the price tag is quite hefty. The Titan box looks good, and apparently eliminates the thud when shifting through the gears too.

Yeah, the price tag is quite hefty. The Titan box looks good, and apparently eliminates the thud when shifting through the gears too.

For me the problem is for the same price could get a proper sequential gearbox.

Dont know much about the titan, may have to have a read up!