The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust query

Andy_s-TT-Supra

Ok so I've got the car booked in for a stainless exhaust to be fitted in a couple of weeks and I have a few queries.

I see some supras with the exhaust tailpipes straight on and some tiles upwards at a slight angle. Is this purely something for looks or does it have any benefit? I can't make up my mind which look I prefer!

Also they have sports cats which are £150 extra but I don't know whether to bother with that or get decats at a later date. I do worry if I got decats I will have issues come MOT time and swapping back would be a right pain.

Any input would be appreciated

Yeah I've seen a few where the pipes appear to drop a bit low which could prove to be a bad move if the car is lowered in the future so I'll keep that in mind.

Its a twin turbo pre-facelift which was imported in 98 but I'll have to double check the actual year of manufacture. I am guessing though regulations for imports would depend on date of import as opposed to the age of the car or would it still be based on the cars actual age even if imported?

I'm getting the exhaust done at Infinity Exhausts in Bristol as I've used them before and their quality of work is really good plus they can get the sound spot on to how quiet or loud you want it ( I'm not on commission or anything haha ). All in they quoted £370 for a cat back with the option of then having sports cats at £150 a piece or I could go down the decat route which would provide much better flow BUT theres the old MOT issue later on

Yeah I've seen a few where the pipes appear to drop a bit low which could prove to be a bad move if the car is lowered in the future so I'll keep that in mind.

Its a twin turbo pre-facelift which was imported in 98 but I'll have to double check the actual year of manufacture. I am guessing though regulations for imports would depend on date of import as opposed to the age of the car or would it still be based on the cars actual age even if imported?

I'm getting the exhaust done at Infinity Exhausts in Bristol as I've used them before and their quality of work is really good plus they can get the sound spot on to how quiet or loud you want it ( I'm not on commission or anything haha ). All in they quoted £370 for a cat back with the option of then having sports cats at £150 a piece or I could go down the decat route which would provide much better flow BUT theres the old MOT issue later on

It's the year of manufacture and you're pre-facelift so you should be fine, just double check though. I think it's 96 onwards where the regulations change and a cat will most likely be needed. It's only a standing idle test for Supras older than that :)

This subject has been done to death but the old wives tale tellers are still at it. :shrug:

Who's telling old wives tales? :innocent: I'm going by my memory of said done to death threads (and MOT flow chart that's in all of them) that I've read and just can't be hooped searching for them to post the link :D

I'm 90% sure the car was made in 96 then imported in 98.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

It's the year of manufacture and you're pre-facelift so you should be fine, just double check though. I think it's 96 onwards where the regulations change and a cat will most likely be needed. It's only a standing idle test for Supras older than that :)

Who's telling old wives tales? :innocent: I'm going by my memory of said done to death threads (and MOT flow chart that's in all of them) that I've read and just can't be hooped searching for them to post the link :D

From what i have read on the Forum, production date is totally irrelevant because the 2JZ-GTE was available and will be on the registry from 1993 anyway. What won't be on there however is the 2JZ-GE, as no N/A were ever sold in the UK. I think that is what David was facetiously alluring to.

As regard the exhaust, if you are that concearned Andy, I would just find a friendlier MoT tester, I am sure someone at a local meet will know of one nearby.