The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R154 Gearbox...

and1c

Jesus christ.

Just seen a guy selling one for £1600 with 2jz bellhousing and nothing else!! Now call me a tighwad but I sold an entire supra mk3 turbo manual in mint condition for less than that 4 years ago.

What a rip off!!! Or maybe I should have kept the old girl and put her in storage...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R154-Gearbox-1jz-2jz-Supra-Soarer-/181978528723?hash=item2a5ec3fbd3:g:zb4AAOSwa-dWhs4F

Like everything in the supra world, once it becomes popular, it becomes priced

I remember 2 years ago when i had my na-t you could piece a full R154 conversion for around £700 all in

W58 conversions sell near on double that price today!

Like the 6 speeds, they were once reasonably priced at one point

Ive seen 2 v161 conversions sell for near on £5k recently, which lets face it is absolutely ridiculous money for a 20 year old factory gearbox

But its great when you own one, bad when you need one :D

Cheers Nodalmighty..!!! Just wish I had known as I am on the look for one!!

Berg, yes mate, strong money indeed for V160 conversions, and they seem to be very very thin on the ground! £5k is ridiculous.

£3500 more on the money for my liking!!

If anyone is serious about a Manual conversion that doesn't use a R154 or a v160, then Roger Smith is your man. He developed Thor's 1uf-fe R154 / Tremec TKO600 kit. I'm sure he could make a kit to fit the Tremec T56 or TR6060 behind the JZ motor using the auto bell housing. You can buy a plate to put a t56 / tr6060 to a auto bell housing from Castlemaine Rodshop for about £300 but you still need to sort the flywheel and clutch combination. This is where people like Roger earn their keep because it's not as easy as you might think.

Where can we find Roger Smith?!

Could be something I would be interested in to be honest. A built Viper manual box (T56 iirc) is less than $5000 used and they hold 1300whp + , parts are cheaper and more available and on the whole it would be good to have more options..

Buiit Chevy T56 will cope just the same and you find one a lot easier than a Viper box. There are a couple of good box builder in the US that specialize in T56 boxes and a lot of people favour these built T56s over the more up to date TR6060. A T56 would feel akin to a R154 where the TR6060 has a much nicer shift and better syncros. I have the MG9 High Torque version of the TR6060 as fitted in the Chevy Z06 and the Roush and Shelby Mustangs. Totally useless for a conversion as the bell housing is integral for strength (the t56 and regular tr6060 have a split bell housing as does the T56 magnum- which is actually a TR6060 with a different input shaft with a different number of splines, go figure).

Where can we find Roger Smith?!

Could be something I would be interested in to be honest. A built Viper manual box (T56 iirc) is less than $5000 used and they hold 1300whp + , parts are cheaper and more available and on the whole it would be good to have more options..

There are various ratio options for the T56 and TR6060 which adds to their desirability.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

Its not just Supras after gearboxes don't forget, Soarers, Aristo's, Chasers, Mark IIs all use the same running gear.

This. And they're all getting older and parts more skant! Doesn't help that nobody in UK and do a full rebuild of the V160/161 either.