The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Small word of warning to newbies and older members

The Raven

Took the old girl out yesterday morning for a quick blast. Like i have done a million times before. Got to a nice straight road and gave it some beans. Not a lot happened my instant thought was "broke" closer followed by....Nope im sideways. Number 2 came in and i had lost traction to the back end, first time since going TT years ago shes stepped out like that.

Lucky for me it snapped back and i was ok. I guess the morale of this story is that if you take these cars for granted they might just bite back and cause you some headaches. N/A TT or of course single just be a bit more careful out there folks

Unsorned mine on new years day and took it out for a run. First junction I come to near my house, I pull out slowly and TC kicks into Snow mode, cuts my power with a car rapidly gaining on my rear, a flash of the hazards and me sheepishly driving off. Wasnt even raining, just a bit of surface water. It was really embarassing. :(

Yep, they can snap out of line for many a reason.

Its good practice to always drive RWD cars with the expectation of them stepping out under acceleration rather than it being a surprise when it can occasionally happen.

Its one of the things that draws me to RWD cars; the involvement and required higher level of concentration/awareness of interaction.

I would suggest that Racelogic could be your friend. Their TC system is great and fairly cost effective! The added bonus is you get nice pops from the exhaust when it kicks in as it cuts ignition rather than fuelling.

Nooooo ... ;)

Just drive it and have fun - but keep alert.

I don't think Raven is suggesting he can't drive or control it, just that you need to stay alert with such cars, especially in the winter months on cold tyres.

The (dull!) open diffs on mine are struggling with traction but are a lot less flighty/sideways in these conditions....LSD's waiting in the wings when I can be arsed to fit them.

Always good to get a nudge as complacency is almost as big a danger as inexperience :)

Always thought it spliced into the stock tc? Never bothered looking it to much..Guess im wrong then? Learn something new all the time

It can use the existing ABS wheel sensors (if fitted) otherwise you can add aftermarket wheel speed sensors.

It goes nowhere near the stock T/C wires, so you're onto a winner there as many of us have to remember to disable it when getting in the car.

I like to play around with the backend as much as possible (when the roads are quiet) as its good practice for when it does kick out then your on it straight away, also i would recommend some of the drifting days available at Oulton park, great for honing or hooning those drifting skills.