The mkiv Supra Owners Club

CorruptSapphire's Supra Project

CorruptSapphire

Hey All,

Not entirely sure where to begin with this, hence the lame generic thread title :rolleyes: , I suppose putting a little history behind the start of the thread would be a good start.

The Supra was purchased back in June last year when my wife & I needed to become a two car family with the imminent arrival of our first son in October, so after making sure that we had a practical family MPV I was able to go ahead & get my Supra.

So after looking at a good few adverts, I came across one that was within my budget & was not in need of major work. She has a few flaws but nothing that is mechanically wrong mainly just cosmetic work, overall the bodywork is in perfect condition for a car that is 22 years old now.

The original plan for the car is to use her as a daily driver over the next several months at the same time trying to return the car to as good as condition as possible. So the list of things that need to be put right is starting to add up, so thought I would document them here.

I am sure that this thread will evolve as my mind changes about the car, I am already torn, I do want to go turbo (at the time my budget didn’t allow for it). But that is where I am not sure on the best option, do I go N/A-T, or GTE transplant or sell up & get a stock turbo model.

Either way currently my main aim is to get this car to the best possible standard that it can be without modifying it too much. Looking forward to getting out to club meets & enjoy the Supra in 2016 :)

I could carry on rambling but for now I am going to stop & will post again when I have got something to post about.

Thanks for reading

Dom

That's a clean looking car Dom :)

If you want to do some bits to it that will make a difference without spending a fortune, I'd recommend:

- Dye the carpet black. It makes a huge difference to the cabin.

- Source some leather front seats. There's a set for sale on the Facebook group at the moment for £250

- Spray the dash panels in a nice, subtle colour. Preferably satin black or satin dark gunmetal grey.

That's a clean looking car Dom :)

Thanks bud :)

Spray the dash panels in a nice, subtle colour. Preferably satin black or satin dark gunmetal grey.

Indeed I will be stripping the dash panels back. Going to go with a total flat black.

I am looking to move a lot of the clutter off the right panel and move it to the bottom of the left panel in the blanks, so this will include rear fog switch, alarm led and make an ariel override switch.

But want an OEM look so will be using some OEM switches and getting them to look right.

With the total flat Black dash, dying the carpet black might be a good idea :) possibly the headliner as well. Anyone know how is that is?

• 3 weeks later...

So I have tackled the first part of the interior, the bit that was bugging me the most, Auto lever surround

So got it stripped back to the plastic

And into primer.

Despite the temprature last night it went on hassle free and really smooth. Next onto the Matt Black

Really happy with the finish and how it turned out

It has made a huge difference to the dash. Now onto the rest

All matt black looks a tad dull to me. It will however give it a very stock look, which is what a lot of people go for nowadays - not to my tastes on the interior side of things. Even a gloss black can look really classy.

Be careful if you are planning to dye the headliner, people have had mixed results - better to buy the black leather one, or just retrim your current one. I tried to dye the boot blind at the same time i did my carpet, came out really really naff, so be careful with that too lol. Dying the carpet is easy, just need a bit of sun - makes the world of difference!

Lovely clean example btw :)

All matt black looks a tad dull to me. It will however give it a very stock look, which is what a lot of people go for nowadays - not to my tastes on the interior side of things. Even a gloss black can look really tacky

Gloss black is too much on the Supras dash panels. They're just to big to pull it off.

Even a gloss black can look really classy.

Doesnt mean it will ;)

Gloss black is too much on the Supras dash panels. They're just to big to pull it off.

Ive seen some tasty examples when done correctly, everything in all gloss black doesnt suit the supra dash, it has to be broken up a little with other accents or trims etc

So have done a little more tonight, thought I would tackle the dial cluster and getting that horrible rubber stuff off.

Not so difficult if you use Cellulose Thinners, to do the panel took about 15 mins to strip it all off. It literally wipes off. After cleaning any remaining residue using IPA I was left with this

So masked up the rings & primed the rest.

whilst I will be adding brushed rings at some point I was interested to see how it would look stock. Happy with the final result.

Will tackle the remaining dash panels over the weekend as there is a lot more work involved

So I have tackled the first part of the interior, the bit that was bugging me the most, Auto lever surround

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/NaawnnAhren/Supra/Supra%20Restoration%20Project/20160120_193749_zps7qkfsddw.jpg

So got it stripped back to the plastic

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/NaawnnAhren/Supra/Supra%20Restoration%20Project/20160120_203606_zpsrp8iy4bw.jpg

And into primer.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/NaawnnAhren/Supra/Supra%20Restoration%20Project/20160120_222123_zpsgrnbxlqg.jpg

Despite the temprature last night it went on hassle free and really smooth. Next onto the Matt Black

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/NaawnnAhren/Supra/Supra%20Restoration%20Project/20160120_234302_zpsbp71zajb.jpg

Really happy with the finish and how it turned out

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx207/NaawnnAhren/Supra/Supra%20Restoration%20Project/20160120_235145_zpsv5jswgl3.jpg

It has made a huge difference to the dash. Now onto the rest

Good job. But with daily use I garuntee that wont last, you need to lay some matt clear coat over it for protection, or itll just bubble and peel. Been here many times before I realised.

Ok so got the main dash panels stripped, primed & in Matt Black.

Ran out of time to do the odo panel, but will do this when i do the drivers window control. Still toying with doing all the plastic parts in Matt Black.

Happy with how the dash has turned out including the cover up of where the alram LED and rear fog switch used to be.

Please excuse the tatty worn steering wheel have the four spoke to go back in whilst I get the three spoke redone. (anyone know of anyone that does this)

Good job. But with daily use I garuntee that wont last, you need to lay some matt clear coar it for protection, or itll just bubble and peel. Been here many times before I realised.

As long as its prepped right it will be fine. 6 years with the old car 3-4 daily driven and I had no problems at all

Great work mate looking great. Keep it up.

Cool will definitely look at this, would you recon a 2k Matt clear or will 1k do it. I may have a little side project for the shifter so this surround is for stock look at the moment.

2k will be best, but normal matt clear in a can will do it to