The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project 800

Hemanhead

Happy new year's day everybody.

What with all the heavy heads around I thought I should introduce my car formally to the forum, detail my build to it's current state and lay out the future plans. So go grab a beverage, there will be pictures and literature inside.

The goal has always been to own an 800bhp Supra from the get go, a high revving, fast spooling pump fuelled 800bhp and as they year moves on, we will hopefully see progression to completion of the target. Many of you already know me, some more than others (Burna :D) and the car; But for those that don't let me introduce it.

Yes, you most likely recognise it, and I have been it's keeper unknown to most. It has seen alot of mileage in my ownership and long may it stay that way, its great fun to drive. Now the previous owner didn't like a few things about it, the clutch (I like it alot) and i believe traction, and i would certainly agree, it was just to happy to spin or slide and for my power goals this had to be adressed. First of all though I suffered a front crank seal failure and then shortly afterwards the crank pulley let go. Luckily I was in a carpark at the time and zero damage was caused. The crank pulley has been upgraded to a Fluidamp, both issues resolved by SRD. I have no pictures of this but google or you're imagination will be just fine.

I had a nasty transportation to SRD and the paintwork was damaged enroute, so i claimed from the AA and they agreed a payout. The car was then sent to baldy and my visual modifications could start. These plans were also firmly in place from the start anyway and so the vented bonnet (Now on TRD-Rob's car) was exchanged and a stock one painted black. The front bumper with it's holes was a no no for me, its is gone and I now have a pre facelift looking bumper with facelift bar. A new lip was also added, this time with no ears, unpainted Urethane which flows quite naturally towards the rear of the car with stock plastics.

Much improved in my opinion, much more subtle with smoothed badge holes. Well done Simon.

Edited by Hemanhead
Spelling (see edit history)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the car is looking better Let's start preparing the drivetrain to handle all this wanted power. I found the main problem with the car was the large case auto diff, the turbo would spool and fly through gears so fast that the (not particurly good) 315/30/18 tyres just could not handle it. Spinning was possible at the top end of third and this is the only time in my ownership I have used the Syvecs traction control.

I purchased an O.S Giken Superlock diff which is 1.5 way over my standard LSD and bought a large case Six speed differential to extend the time I spend in gear. This was again, sent to Lee and everything stripped and replaced from seals to dust cover and repainted.

Looking good. Now the tyres need to come off. They were replaced with these :

Toyo R888 335/30/18

Gratuitous girth shot

These tyres are absolutely unbelievable. The combination with the diff has totally transformed the car, night and day. It is so much more predictable and full traction can be had in second gear. It sticks and is seriously fast. The diff doesn't hop and isn't loud, if you listen in the background you can hear it when off throttle but it is solid mounted. It feels asthough it is turning you into a corner when you steer but overall you wouldn't know it was an aftermarket item.

This coincidentally is probably the first time a few of you will have seen me in the car but won't have realised.

Remember that black Supra in the carpark doing figures of eight before getting onto the Eurotunnel on Dragonball V1? WTF is his problem?

Yes that was me breaking in the new diff where I could :D

More to come...

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Did i mention I was on the first Dragonball?

Well i was but I managed to drink so much with a few Cornish members that i didn't actually make it out with the main pack on Saturday...or Sunday for that matter!

As i had only driven on those tyres and diff for one day I looked out of the window and couldn't face dealing with such a powerful car, in the wet, on semi slicks whilst nursing one hell of a hangover. I later cured this with more beer :thumbs:

The car still managed to get plastered and with subsequent use i decided to invest in a DA polisher, the paintwork is still in really good condition overall. Take a look :

This is from Mount Edgecombe, a summer meet with the southwest owners, Wile and Slam Etc and was a really great day, let down only by the Subaru car club infront of us. Ever the embarrassment of the Japanese car scene they didn't disappoint and we have asked to be moved with the GT cars next year. For anyone that didn't go, not only is this a good drive but great event with alot going on, all set in the stunning country house grounds overlooking the Plymouth sound. If you are in or near the south west it's worth going to, especially to see all the American cars.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=24328&d=1437695016

You see that exhaust on the back? Huge isn't it.

Powerhouse racing exhaust with a 5" burns muffler and it is loud, I see people at meets dropping 50 metres back because they can't even hear their own car's anymore. So its a bit much for my needs shall we say. This was upgraded now to an ETS 4" titanium exhaust. Unlike the HKS version this isn't just a backbox, it is a full Ti exhaust. Lot's of weight saved and it's a tad quieter.

I would say roughly 8/9kg saved here, which will happily offset some of my soundproofing later.

Stunning welds

All this goodness comes at a cost though, nothing that a bit of money can't cure but at roughly £1400 to you're door? You decide.

I think it's great, and as far as i know, a one of it's kind in the UK right now.

My DEI Turbo blanket had seen better days (It was burning off!) so this was changed over for an ebay special which is doing the job quite nicely. Any excuse for a turbo photo:

So this brings us nicely onto DBV2, and my new exhaust put on the day before we left seems to be working. No longer do people drop back from my car asthough it's some kind of leper Supra. There are not many photo's of my car again, mainly because I ended up having a good drinking session (a recurring theme i know), but there are quite a few of other peoples cars and I will try and update DBV1 and DBV2 threads with a 'better late than never' bump when i have some time. For now though here are a few of mine.

Feel free to tag yourself in this one Buster, it was a bit early in the day to be offering yourself to Belgians in such a manner

For those that were on the trip you will remember my car caught a misfire, most unfortunate. After changing coils and it solving nothing, I changed sparks when i got home. Still nothing, and after checking all the cables and connections to the coils and injectors I had a car that drove fine in every gear off boost but would stutter when giving it some on boost.

After an entire day of changing and testing sensors and plugs, Lee and Ash noticed an anomaly in the logs. So it turns out the TPS was faulty and was sending intermittent messages to the ECU to say it was closed!

Anyway, a great find by the guys and problem put to bed :)

Cars looking good mate and i will be looking forward to the future updates & upgrades :)

Thanks pal, updates coming.

No it is my old car...

Yup, it's Chris' old car. Still running the same power and spec for now.

So on the way home from DBV2 I reached a milestone in the cars life.

I bought the car with 83,000km and its currently around 103,000km, not bad going i think.

08/08/2015 saw many of the club members goto Santa Pod for a drag RWYB. It was a very hot day and too many cars blew up, thus closing the track for long periods of time. I only managed to get in three runs and in the time tried the following settings;

Traction & launch control : Crap

Launch control : Crap

No electronic aids : Better

The earlier times were a 12.5, and 12.7 with the manual launch yielding the following:

12.1 @ 126mph

2.223 60ft

Toyo R888's.

My car spluttered a little at the top end which probably cost me an 11, and i would say this was when the TPS sensor first started to fail. This year I will certainly drive myself into an 11 on street tyres. The launch control is quite high revving 4-4.5k from memory and the car spins up too much off the line, It will however probably work really well when some drag radials are fitted. But to help with the power hike and better launches, I need a little more compliance from the rear suspension. The Teins have been good but there isn't enough squat in the back. I don't want the car bouncing down the street, it will always be for the street, but every little helps.

So I Got in contact with Nitron through SRD again as Lee is a dealer and told him the specs I was thinking of.

Out with the old in with the new

The Teins have the following spring rates: (Front)14kg or 784lbs/in and (Rear)8kg or 448lbs/in

The car isn't ridiculously low so there is some travel but the car does give a firm ride like this. The new setup needs to feel a little softer for long journeys and dip slightly to the rear under heavy acceleration to make sure there is a weight transfer. So (Front) 13.5kg and (Rear) 6.5kg was asked for, and this is what showed up, the pictures can do the talking from here:

There you have it, I had Lee fit them all up as he now has his own geometry rig (as you will have now seen no doubt in the SRD thread) which is so handy, almost a drive in drive out shop now Lee :thumbs:

So how do they feel?

Yes, much better is the answer. It is now a smoother drive and you can feel the rear dip a little under load, Great!

Probably the best thing about them is the little helper springs as our roads are so bumpy. I notice them pushing the wheel back and maintaining much better contact with the road, especially on twisting B roads. It gives me alot more confidence in the car, it grips infinitely better and is in general a much better place to be. For anybody put off by the initial cost of Nitron's i think you should atleast consider that because they are made in the UK they can be maintained easily. I have asked and a full overhaul comes out at £90 per corner, not bad from the Oxfordshire based company.

My short and simple review is all well and good, but I will let the figures and times do the talking this year. With this extra compliance in the rear, a trip to the Pod will hopefully show an 11 second run next time out with a 2.0 ~ 2.1 60ft.

• 1 month later...

So i have surrendered yet another weekend to the car but this one has reaped a most bountiful harvest. I hired a van, didn't let that little storm put me off and just look at what I have returned with :

Yes, VVTi 2JZ-GTE, and it's from a Supra and not an Aristo. The loom looks in good condition, the engine appears clean and turns over (with compression). It has 82k on it apparently and also as a mixture of miles and kilometers. This doesn't matter to me much as it will be forged, but it was from an auto so it can't have had a particularly hard life.

Obviously there will be alot of parts for sale from this like turbos, auto box, ancillaries and sensors etc but this will happen after strip and inspection. The engine is with Lee already but we aren't in any rush to get it built up and into the car as i don't want to compromise Dragonball. I am also waiting with interest to see how the two built engine 6870's turn out as it will give me a final direction on turbo choice.

More updates to follow !

When your ready can you let me know how much for the turbos please.

Cracking build.

Thanks, trying to use the best things I can. Turbos will come off fairly soon. Depends how busy Lee is basically.

How could I miss this thread.

Great project Zach: subscribed ;)

Thanks Luc, It won't be quite as powerful as your'es but it could make for some great racing if we goto Spa again :eyebrows:

• 1 month later...

Yes traction is vastly improved, but that has alot to do with how a 1.5 way works versus a Torsen diff (my old diff). The diff does feel like it turns into a corner and you can certainly accelerate out of the corner sooner. It doesn't get tail happy as often but when it does there is a welcoming predictability about it. It does make a little more noise, i can just hear it but it never hops or does anything untoward.

The diff is solid mounted but the suspension componentry is OEM, there has to be some give in the driveline somewhere. I also run a wide semi slick rear tyre which performs amazingly well. As my power increases I will see if these parts are up to the job but I don't think there are many other avenues without mega money investments. Judging by the performance of some of the other SRD builds, it should be just fine.

Where's the pictures of the seats ;)

Ohh yes, the seats. I have never really liked my interior much so i am undertaking a full interior change from flocked, back to standard (plus a few modernisations and upgrades)

The are Recaro Sportster CS, mounted on Bride RO rails and will replace my Recaro Evo VIII on custom seat rails.

I am hoping to have the interior done before dragonball, but as ever, I am busy at work (no bad thing) but it is seriously hampering progress. It will look good when finished however, there are lot's of goodies to add.