The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red paint restoration (faded)

mr_maj

Does anyone know of a good polish to help restore red paint?? Its faded in some areas quite badly and i cant seem to get it right, ive tried T-cut and some colour magic and waxes but nothing. I know red paint is known to fade but this is quite bad.

Any tips from anyone?

Yep, right then I can't take all the credit for this one as I think Terminator gave me the original advice.

You need to get yourself some 'G3' cutting compound and apply as per intructions, keeping it wet with a mist spray and not staying in one area. Also be very carefull on edges as it'll take the paint down quicker here.

Best thing it to go lightly and look at the results then do it some more if not enough.

After this I used a mild cut, Neilsons Blue worked well, supplied by Terminator. Then finally I used a wax polish and the end result was amazing.

I had tried T-cut (bad news as it containd ammonia and could possibly make it worse) but I did a whole Toyota estate with G3 and it came up like new and it had a real problem with the red paint, almost white on all the top facing areas such as roof etc.

Hope this helps mate.

Paul

Yeh same problem! On the roof one corner is a different colour to the rest (much paler) and the paintwork is looking patchy. In some areas it does look as if it will be turning into white paint soon!

So how is the cutting compound applied? Does it take paint off? Loads of paint already came off on the rag when t-cutting and polishing and i think i made it worse!

Is the G3 all i need bar the mild t-cut?

Thanks for advise, you could have save me alot of money (considering re-spray)!

Don't worry about taking it back to primer if you are sensible and apply it by hand.

I did the whole car and therefore used a polisher, with these you have to go real easy as it could take off more than you intend.

If you put some on the car and then get a damp cloth and work it in, keep moving to different areas rather than concentrating on one small spot, get something like a cheap trigger action garden spray fill with water and 'mist' the G3 to stop it turning into a thick paste.

Then wipe of the excess, hose it off so 95% of the G3 is off and then go for the mild cut, don't bother trying to get a shine with the G3 alone as it never seems to disappear completly.

Difficult to say anymore than this as I don't know how bad your paint is, don't be frightened of the stuff, just take it easy and bear in mind that the more water misted on the thinner G3 gets, and therefore it's weaker and gives less of a cut. And go easy near the edge of panels, if you don't it WILL leave you with thin paint!!

BTW, I paid £20 for 1L of G3 and didn't even use a third to do a whole car so it might be worth trying to see if it comes in smaller bottles?

Paul