The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Kit Conversion

JoseSupra

I've just ordered a set of these, they seem to rate highly on the reviews I've read, you will need 9005 bulbs if you have j-spec headlights, 9004 if you have uk glass headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conversion-Colors-Premium-Ballasts/dp/B004ZF39T0

You can't get the JSpec bulbs which have a different 3 locating lug pattern so all I did was get the standard HB bulb and hacksaw off one of the three tabs. Bulb fits and holds in position fine with the two remaining tabs. Its easy to figure out which one doesn't align and needs cutting off. For the benefit of the OP ballast is required and 6000K gives a good white light. Go 8000K and its starting to get blue. I have some cars on 6000K and some on 8000K without any issues on colour.

The cheapest on ebay are as good as the most expensive you could find.

I prefer white light 4,300, boys who wear blue take an interest in blue lights. :think:

[/url]

That and that.

eBay kits that are cheap as chips work perfectly, and anything over 4300k (which are the brightest) is just chavvy as they start getting blue and not as bright.

Tell him not to waste his time or money on them, they are a pain to fit as you have to reverse the polarity on the connections. Ive recently changed my headlights and front indicators back to oem bulbs as I cant be bothered with hids/led exterior lighting.

Tell him not to waste his time or money on them, they are a pain to fit as you have to reverse the polarity on the connections. Ive recently changed my headlights and front indicators back to oem bulbs as I cant be bothered with hids/led exterior lighting.

Aside from hacksawing one of the three locating lugs the fit is a simple process of plugging in. You have units with built in ballast so you don't even need a second box to plug into. Takes about 20 minutes to fit even with the sawing and I've only ever had one HID bulb blow in years. Lots brighter too, running on HIDs is like running on full beam halogens without blinding oncoming traffic.

That and that.

eBay kits that are cheap as chips work perfectly, and anything over 4300k (which are the brightest) is just chavvy as they start getting blue and not as bright.

6000K is white as far as my lights look anyway, 8000K is heading to chavvy blue but I kept to that on one of my cars as it came with those fitted. Anything less than 6000K is beginning to look French as it tends towards yellow.

Takes 20 mins to fit and one of the most best modifications to increase better light output :D

I went with 5k and got them off eBay using the bulb guide a number of years ago. The 5k was superb, looked completely OEM and nice crisp white light.

6000K is white as far as my lights look anyway, 8000K is heading to chavvy blue but I kept to that on one of my cars as it came with those fitted. Anything less than 6000K is beginning to look French as it tends towards yellow.

Yellow like the French, not even stock bulbs in a Supra or A N Other car are as yellow as that. Many many threads on this subject, but needless to say the short version is 4300k is the brightest, whitest lights, the higher the kelvin rating the less bright you go.

Put your 6k lights up against 4300k you will see yours are not a white as you think. I have had many a kit over a few cars and a couple of Supra's. Been up at 8k when I never had sense and thought it was cool, then to 6k then finally saw sense and went to 4300k. Far superior.

Takes 20 mins to fit {snip}

If you include 2 cups of tea, a trip to the loo in with that. Fitting them and securing them is no more than a 5 minute job. :D

If you include 2 cups of tea, a trip to the loo in with that. Fitting them and securing them is no more than a 5 minute job. :D

I always include 2 cups of tea and a trip to the loo in my time quotes :D

But yes you are right, both sides can be connected up in 5 mins.