The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R154 gearbox limits? time to upgrade to v160?

jonny mac

hi guys, currently with what I have going on with a 1.5jz build, I've decided that it may be time to upgrade my gearbox for future power increses

prevention>cure

pretty much what I was looking to find out is what are the limits of a v160 box? are they suitable for drifting? can they handle abuse better than an r154?

my car currently has a 1jzgte with 406 wheel horse power (around 460-470 at flywheel), the r154 that's in there now is in good condition, it does however seem like it wouldn't take the abuse of a 6-700 horse power 2jz ?

just looking for some advice here on what's worth doing? rebuild the r154 with stronger parts?

currently I've had a good offer from a mate who wants to buy my gearbox setup for £2200 which will give him

r154 box with jz housing, extended shifter,

new Toyota slave cyl (new last year)

act 6 puck clutch

flywheel (lightweight)

arp flywheel bolts

all new Toyota clutch hub washers/bearing replaced last year

jz r154 to s14 front prop section

that will give me a good chunk of money to put towards a v160,

my plan was to give him all that and then start a fresh, buy a v160 and add to it to get a complete working setup, i.e new clutch and propshaft etc?

just trying to work out, is it worth spending the money on a box upgrade? or is it worth making the r154 semi indestructible somehow?

the way I see it, if I was to blow up my r154 and loose third for instance, it's worth nothing. at least this way I can still sell it for something and get some of my money back rather than leave it too late

The V160 is a double edged sword. It is without a doubt the toughest compatible gearbox with these cars. But if you do break one, replacing it is much more expensive.

Quite a few drifters seem.to use 350z and bmw 6 speed bowes instead, may be worth looking into that :)

I don't think the M5 box will be the same. It is probably similar to the 6 speed getrag found in the 8 series, and some 5 series V8 models. Interestingly, that Getrag has a higher factory torque rating than the V160!

The only other car I know of that uses a version of the Supras Getrag boxes is the R34 Skyline GTR.

The only thing I've heard this that abc are having a few issues with the bmw box conversion kits just now and are currently testing a new set.

People are saying the E39 m5 Getrag box is the same as a v160 but surely the bel housings are different ?

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see photographic or tabular evidence of on forums, and you will only be absorbing junk most of the time ;)

People in the IDC have killed a good few R154 boxes at about 700bhp, namely Brian Egan. Pretty sure Fraser Stark has too in his old JZ E30, if I were you I'd upgrade just to be sure. Mark Luney was running his Supra at 1000bhp and higher with no problems using a v160 giving it a LOT of abuse.

P.s. I think you just bought my mate Andy's S14 Kouki spats (Y) lol

It's just the hassle of then finding a second r154 to replace with etc. then it would need the shifters and bel housings swapped over Etc

Too much messing around and the car would be off the road. Do it once, do it right is something I've learned the hard way haha

The 350z boxes and Colin's conversion kits look good too but finding the strongest model of 350z box is harder to find.

v160 is more money plus a lot for a clutch and flywheel setup too.

Ashloy's yeah I did haha. I keep smashing my spats with tyre Delmas. I've spoken to Fraser stark and a few of the other boys using a bmw box but they all say that abc are testing new designs just now and no further info yet :S

I won't bother with an e39 box as thinking about it, it's a silly idea