The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerful Washer Pump

a98pmalcolm

Hi Guys, I have seen a thread somewhere once about using a different washer windscreen pump to replace the Supra one. I think I saw a lexus one mentioned.

Basicly I have moved the washer tank to the boot and the windscreen washers are minimal. Like barely coming out.

I have an after market pump that I tried, was a little better but no good.

Any ideas with what pump I can use? Ideally one that uses the stock plug.

Thanks

Paul

I'd be interested in knowing this too as my washers seem to be low on pressure for some reason? Any ideas why this might be down on pressure?

Stock washer jets? Could be a partial blockage, fitting more modern Toyota washer jets makes a huge difference to the spray pattern.

From a long lost member

Right I've upgraded :)

Following d8moa's input I opted for the later spec Lexus IS200 / IS300 jets - as he said they have a real fan effect that does a decent job of getting water onto the full width of the screen.

I haven't been out in the car as yet to test them properly but when parked up my only concern is that the jet is flat and doesn't come very high onto the screen. I'm guessing this should work out OK though, the water will move up as you drive so we'll see....

I got black ones, £10.93 each inc VAT and they slot straight in, an almost exact footprint of the standard ones and the same shape fitting. They are available in a few colours but obviously intended for Lexi. 2 day lead time from Toyota. I suspect a group buy would bring the price down by at least 10% or maybe Nic / CJ's chap can do a better price - just think of the pioneer explorer here when you are saving money, all donations welcome ;)

White (040) Chamonix White ------- 85381-53070-A0

White Pearl (062) St Lucia Pearl ------- 85381-53070-A1

Silver (1C0) Platinum Ice ------- 85381-53070-B0

Dk grey (1C6) Granite Sky ------- 85381-53070-B1

Black (202) Astral Black ------- 85381-53070-C0

Red (3P0) Scarlatti Red ------- 85381-53070-D0

Beige met (4R4) Persian Quartz ------- 85381-53070-E0

Dk green (6R4) Glenarvon Pine ------- 85381-53070-G0

Grey/blue (8N6) Antimony -------- 85381-53070-J0

Dk blue (8P4) Montrose Blue ------- 85381-53070-J1

If you want to try a breaker for these latest ones you'll need an August '03 onwards car, before then they had twin ones like ours and then later a triple version, the numbers above are all for the 'fan' ones.

Absolute doddle to fit, I just chopped my old club Toyota card in half and pushed it into the rubber at the front and back of the washer while lifting. This pushes in the plastic lugs and you can lift it out with the pipe attached. Pull a little to get more pipe (not too much!) and then pull the old nozzle off while keeping a tight hold on the pipe so it doesn't fall back into the hole. Push the new one onto the pipe and push it back into the hole with a satisfying click.

Stand back, smoke your pipe and stroke a lion.

More feedback when I drive somewhere, might not be for a few days though.

I also have the late spec is200 washer jets and can highly recommend them!

I used to occasionally have water pressure issues which turned out to be the washer pipe jumping out of position after closing the bonnet. Trapping the hose between the bonnet and my gas struts.

That could be the problem I have, as I have gas struts and the pipes do run close by.

I have had the same issue too. I thought the pump was failing as I was getting virtually nothing out of the front jets. Wheel off and arch liner removed only to find it was working properly. After putting it all back together the jets seemed to work. Of note was that during this process the bonnet was unlatched!

Thinking I had resolved the issue I went for a drive only to find the same issue. Unfortunately I was on my way to the MOT station. I warned the technician about the washers hoping he would show mercy on me.

It was the MOT technician who then informed me that the pipe was being crushed by the gas strut. Made total sense but I had never considered it.

Bonus was that when he tested them they worked.

I've yet to deal with this issue but it can be a right old pain.

Pump too weak so using the one that came with the kit.

And these washer jets fire too low