The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problems with Supra :(

JackyBoi

My car has been off the road for 2-3 months and I just got all my insurance sorted today (got a great deal with Adrian Flux.) I took it for a drive for a good half hour or so just to wear everything back in, but then when I started to pin it the revs would hold back at 5k RPM. Every single time in any gear I went anywhere near 5k (which is just below where I get full boost) like I said it would just stop; felt like a fuel cut or something. Then I turned it off, let it cool for a while, turned it back on and then the issue disappeared totally. Drove it back home with it revving right into full boost no problem. But obviously this should never have happened in the first place?

Also my AFR keeps showing this, then starts working normally, then goes back to this etc etc:

And also my clutch has always been a bit of a rattler but today it was horrendous. At any standstill all I could hear was the clutch spinning round rattling its tits off. What the hell is going on? I'm thinking I should just take it to Lee or someone for a full 'health check'?

Hey bud, I know this is a little off topic, but I was just curious what your insurance quote was?

I'm guessing your car is running 500bhp plus?

Just trying to get an idea of what going single would cost.

Hope it gets resolved soon bud. I know the feeling when something goes wrong the supra, it is disheartening :(

In regards to your issue, if its been sat for a few months, is it fitted with an after market ecu? This may be the cause of the issues.

Could possibly be fuel pressure related.

The aem is sensing very little fuel is being burnt, so much so it's going off the scale lean.

Obviously, then you have all the normal, spark and ignition related probable causes.

That's strange. It's totally random; I could floor it and it would still say the same, but the next 5 mins it could be working fine again!

Is it your Syvecs going into limp mode?

What is limp mode?

Hey bud, I know this is a little off topic, but I was just curious what your insurance quote was?

I'm guessing your car is running 500bhp plus?

Just trying to get an idea of what going single would cost.

Hope it gets resolved soon bud. I know the feeling when something goes wrong the supra, it is disheartening :(

In regards to your issue, if its been sat for a few months, is it fitted with an after market ecu? This may be the cause of the issues.

Yeah it has a Syvecs ECU. I think the only way to get it fixed properly is to take it to a mapper. I'll PM you about insurance.

Have you not got a toucan fitted? You should be able to plug your Syvecs into a compatible laptop, and the diagnosis can be done remotely. :)

Limp mode is generally where Syvecs runs in a safe mode, so it limits revs etc to prevent damage. Usually in case of poor AFR, high egts, low oil pressure etc.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Have you not got a toucan fitted? You should be able to plug your Syvecs into a compatible laptop, and the diagnosis can be done remotely. :)

Limp mode is generally where Syvecs runs in a safe mode, so it limits revs etc to prevent damage. Usually in case of poor AFR, high eggs, low oil pressure etc.

Unfortunately not. I might contact Romain to see if he can deal with the issue remotely. The last thing I want is to continue driving it only for something to go horribly wrong! I think the map is the reason I'm still getting these kinds of issues. It was also driving like absolute crap at low RPM's for some reason, and probably over-fuelling as all I could smell was petrol. :(

What is limp mode?

If you have a Toucan it will flash up 'LIMP' on the display and you wont be able to rev the car past XXXX revolutions. Did you let the water and oil warm up properly before you decided to smash you're foot down?

The syvecs will keep the car in limp mode until the oil hits about 50 degrees C, you're water will probably be near 80 at that point. Hopefully it is as simple as that :)

If you have a Toucan it will flash up 'LIMP' on the display and you wont be able to rev the car past XXXX revolutions. Did you let the water and oil warm up properly before you decided to smash you're foot down?

The syvecs will keep the car in limp mode until the oil hits about 50 degrees C, you're water will probably be near 80 at that point. Hopefully it is as simple as that :)

Yes I was very careful about driving it at low RPM's for a good half hour before I started having some fun. That's why I'm so confused about this issue - nothing has changed at all apart from the fact it was sitting for a few months.

Unfortunately not. I might contact Romain to see if he can deal with the issue remotely. The last thing I want is to continue driving it only for something to go horribly wrong! I think the map is the reason I'm still getting these kinds of issues. It was also driving like absolute crap at low RPM's for some reason, and probably over-fuelling as all I could smell was petrol. :(

Did you save the map ryan did for the car ? I would save Romain's map and try it with Ryans map back on it if you have

Check the vac lines are all still on, I can't see that he would map it like that.

Maybe the map sensor vac line has popped off.

Sound like it was in limp mode on the syvecs.

The AEM does that when it goes off the scale lean which is usually when you lift off the throttle.

That's perfectly normal

Yes but it isn't normal if it's displaying it no matter what you do with the throttle!

Did you save the map ryan did for the car ? I would save Romain's map and try it with Ryans map back on it if you have

Romain mapped my car from the very start as far as I'm aware, as soon as it left Whifbitz it went to him at Syvecs

Check the vac lines are all still on, I can't see that he would map it like that.

Maybe the map sensor vac line has popped off.

I checked as many vac hoses as I could find (mechanical knowledge is still limited) my friend seems to think my coil packs could be on their way out? They are the same ones from factory

Could it be that it was simply wavering between having a temperature limiter and surpassing the limiter? I.e. At the moment with the cold temperatures, my car is taking a very long time to get up to temp and the limiter is staying on for a long time. Do you have a colder thermostat fitted? Long shot I know...

Alternatively, get the car to display the fault. Immediately download the logs and send them to someone who knows...!

Could it be that it was simply wavering between having a temperature limiter and surpassing the limiter? I.e. At the moment with the cold temperatures, my car is taking a very long time to get up to temp and the limiter is staying on for a long time. Do you have a colder thermostat fitted? Long shot I know...

Alternatively, get the car to display the fault. Immediately download the logs and send them to someone who knows...!

It could be, unfortunately I have no idea what's causing the issue. My worry is that it disappeared after leaving the car for a bit, so it's not a constant problem which may make it harder to source/fix. I'm gonna give Lee an email.