The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear brake caliper help

cainhead

Hello,

Bit of advice needed. My jspec rears having been causing issues and decided to take them off for a refurb. I knew one was seized but got it out with some force. I was planning on replacing everything with new CW parts as pistons were a little corroded and they are 21 years old so gives me a project. Just wanted to ask some opinions. When i look into the chamber of the caliper its all very smoth and polished on the sides but at the bottom it looks and feels quite coarse. Is that normal, or has something worn away. Just dont want to spend money on new parts if I might as well look at replacing the whole thing. Also any ideas on best way to clean the chambers that the sliders go into. They were extremely hard to remove.

Any comments much appreciated.

Are you talking of the slider pins, or the bores of the caliper bodies the pistons go into? The slider pin bores and be cleaned up with a snug fitting drill bit run at high speed with oil on the drill bit. The caliper body piston bores should have a good finish, but no need for anything too special, the seals are there to seal on a perfect piston finish, via the rubber seal, the bore just guides the piston. Does that help?

I use either a fine grade flap wheel or a flexi hone if you feel like splashing out

Or get a piece of smaller diameter steel/aluminium, cut a slot in one end and wrap fine grade emery cloth

around it till it just fits in the slider pin bore, fit into an cordless drill and push it back and forth honing out the bore.

Wrap the emery cloth in the opposite rotation to the drill so it doesn't unravel when you start it

Use WD40 or oil to keep it lubed :)

honing stick.jpg

flexi hone.jpg

3m-cloth-flap-wheel-type-83-1-inch-by-1-inch-35475.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I'm one step away from finishing a rear calliper refurb but I'm stuck getting the slider pin dust gators to fit. They seem to have a metal fitting on the end that sits into the slider bore, however the diameter of the metal piece seems just to big to fit in. Any ideas?

Cheers

You have not removed the OLD metal collar, it's still in the bore of the slider. Look at it in a good light and get a sharp chisel under it. What you are trying to remove is the same collar that's on the new rubber gators you have. once the old collar is levered out you can tap the new one in with a suitably sized socket. Let me know if you aren't sure what I mean, but once you realise the old one iI still stuck in the slider it should all become clear ;) Cheers.

I'm one step away from finishing a rear calliper refurb but I'm stuck getting the slider pin dust gators to fit. They seem to have a metal fitting on the end that sits into the slider bore, however the diameter of the metal piece seems just to big to fit in. Any ideas?

Cheers

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content.php?57-Brake-System

Page BR48 shows what Chris is on about

Thanks Chris that makes sense, stupidly that didn't even cross my mind as after removing the old gators there were no collars attached. I guess the bonding had just given up after 21 years.

Cheers again to both of you for the assistance. Now just to fit all back on the car.

Cheers

• 2 months later...