The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porsche seats

Spunkmeyer

Anybody had a go at fitting Porsche Boxster/Cayman seats into a supra?

Looking on eBay they are similar shape to OEM and often in pretty good shape for sub £300. (Cayman maybe £4/500)

Need to take a chance on buying a set and fitting rails to them. If nobody can say they have done this? Searches here and Google haven't popped anything up

Not many are manual though so is re-wiring another manufacturers seat into a supra not too difficult or a nightmare? Are most seats from other OEM manufacturers fitted into Supras manual seats then? Don't mind leaving electrics for manual runners but tilt won't be possible and buttons not being used wouldn't look any good.

Cheers for the input

I doubt anyone has done this swap, OEM seats from any manufacturer rarely have frames suitable for just bolting subframes to. Normally it takes quite a bit of chopping.

The wiring should be relatively easy, as the motors etc will be self contained *if the seat switches are mounted to the seats. If they're on the dash or doorcards as on some cars, that is very different *. Should just be a 12v in and an earth.

I have looked at this too, I like the newer style 911 seats with the gloss plastic backs to them (Rear seat delete so rear passenger safety isn't a thing to worry about) but the majority on ebay are expensive... But there's the odd cheap set. If you do go ahead be patient and wait for a cheap set to pop up. You'll probably find breakers selling a pair for £500+. But when an independent/private breaker or someone selling spares you may find them to be around the £300 mark. And then you have accident damaged ones where the airbag has deployed even cheaper

Wish I could get Alfa Romeo GT seats into mine, but they'd a bit too big and would look weird :(

You could look for a set of Porsche 928 sport seats, though I suspect a decent set will be well above your budget. They are possibly the most comfortable seats I've ever used though.

http://teilecar.com/files/sportsitze-sport-seats-porsche-928-gt-gts.jpg

Yep as many as these similar price and they look great though some interesting colours. Mustard yellow, wine red, green etc

I have looked at this too, I like the newer style 911 seats with the gloss plastic backs to them (Rear seat delete so rear passenger safety isn't a thing to worry about) but the majority on ebay are expensive... But there's the odd cheap set. If you do go ahead be patient and wait for a cheap set to pop up. You'll probably find breakers selling a pair for £500+. But when an independent/private breaker or someone selling spares you may find them to be around the £300 mark. And then you have accident damaged ones where the airbag has deployed even cheaper

Wish I could get Alfa Romeo GT seats into mine, but they'd a bit too big and would look weird :(

Yeah my mate has the GT. I preferred the 156/147 GTA seats would they fit (not so modern in their billings) expect they are ultra rare though

Which seats isn't the issue, there are plenty - it's the trouble of sorting out fitment and rails without too much risk. Celica gen 7 are alright but I think there are better looking seats. The cost cap are Corbaeu RS1 / RRS at £900-£1100 with all the correct bits to fit straight in. I'm hoping to get under £500 as the refurb of the OEM seats are £750

Wow,

I was just about to buy a set of RX8 seats to fit to mine. Do you have any pictures?

Did you do anything with the centre wankel bit in the head rest?

Cheers

Jon

I'll be spraying it black mate.

I basically had to grind a fair bit down on the rails, then I got some of the custom seat mounts from John on here (can't remember the thread but search for 'low mount custom seat frames), bolted them to the seats and then bolted it all to the original holes in the car.

Fair bit of grinding, drilling, measuring and faffing about.

Seats are very comfy and a good upgrade from cloth but they aren't perfect in terms of fitment so I might look to change them again next year.

I haven't wired the drivers one in either so I adjusted it manually before fitting.

Jesus they look huge in a Supra.

The metal working side does not worry me at all with any seat so I was looking at options and the RX8 seemed like a fairly reasonable seat to try and fit.

Cheers for the photos it gives me an idea of how it would look

Jesus they look huge in a Supra.

The metal working side does not worry me at all with any seat so I was looking at options and the RX8 seemed like a fairly reasonable seat to try and fit.

Cheers for the photos it gives me an idea of how it would look

They are pretty big but also extremely comfortable.

Next year I think I'll go down the S2000 route - a chap on a US supra page told me aside from one bolt hole they are a perfect fit.

They are pretty big but also extremely comfortable.

Next year I think I'll go down the S2000 route - a chap on a US supra page told me aside from one bolt hole they are a perfect fit.

Good shout with the S2000 seats I will look at that. Not worried about electric mechanisms as the drivers seat only moves when I am cleaning the car

I seem to remember (dude) on here fitting Porsche seats in a supra. Might be worth a PM but haven't seen him on here for a while now

I think they were replica Carrera GT seats. They probably have pretty universal frames on the replicas.

The genuine ones are something like £2k - £3k a pair used...