The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra LSD

Guest 330uk

Im thinking of getting a Supra TT soon. I just wanted some information on the LSD and how it perform's as a drift car.

My previous list of cars

S13

S14a

AE86

Im more into the drift scene than anything else. I know the Supra makes a pretty good drift car, ive seen JUN's awesome drift Supra in action.

Ive had just about every other drift car and I really like the look of the Supra. The main appeal is the reliability compared to other turbo car's.

Can anybody help me with the following

-Do all Supra MKiv have an LSD ? If not which versions.

-Is the standard LSD anygood for drifting and general sliding around. The standard LSD on the AE86 and the S14a is not too bad (my personal opinion) Although I did have a TRD 2 way on the AE86.

-Is there any aftermarket LSD available for the Supra, anybody have any experience with this.

Also just wondering if there are any other Supra drifters on the board. Let me know as much information as possible before I dive in and buy my Supra.

Cheers

go here for lots of info

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

engine vin plate to check if you have LSD as standard

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/images/specs/tag.jpg

Ring Gear Size A A (138mm), B (145mm)

Differential Ratio 01 01 (4.083:1), 02 (3.769:1), 03 (3.267:1)

Differential Type A A (Std diff), B (Torsen LSD)

i have just had a lsd fitted to my car. my supra was a netto supra with no lsd or cruise control or active spoiler.

Guest ThrottleHappy

Another drifter! :)

Havent touched anything other than an S13, '86 and the n/a Soop.

n/a is easiest to drift as the power means any muckups and you just stamp down on the accelerator. '86 was fun as long as you screw the nuts of it all the time and the S13 was just right assuming you have the S14a turbo and some decent suspension.

Been told the TT is a little more difficult to handle as the turbos cause lag issues and sometimes are a little 'jumpy' when changing speeds within a corner. I imagine upgrading a little would prevent the problem, but I've never tried so wouldnt know for real.

Let me know bro :)

A small single turbo converted TT supra would be ideal as you'd have quick spool and pretty linear power delivery, lots of power through the rev range. This thought has often crossed my mind and there are mechanical clutch type LSD's available for them from TRD and the usual suspects like Cusco, Tomei, Kaaz as far as I know.

I had a 280bhp S13 I used for drifting and have had 2 supra TT's... it would make an excellent drift car IMO as even standard the LSD locks pretty well and lets you get a nice slide on. I'd like to get another Supra TT and mod it for drift next time more than anything else... so nice coilover setup, walbro pump to go with cold plugs, decat and decent exahust with a restrictor ring to make a modest 1.1bar boost tops to keep everything reliable, mech LSD and eventually small single with supporting mods.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Done some research and there are lots of decent LSD's out there for the mkiv. Also (from what Ive read, not personal experience) the Torsen LSD is pants. It could be one of the reasons why so many people ditch there Supra's in the wet. It just doesnt provide the performance for a car like the Supra. Again this is just what Ive read.

Im also surprised more people don't uprate the LSD as one of the first steps to modifying the car.

Is the torsen LSD really that bad ? Who on here has an uprated LSD ? Which version do you have and is the car still driveable as an everyday car ?

I had a TRD 2-way on my AE86 and it was still driveable as an everyday car. Also not as noisy as some of the others.

Now Im on the look out for a Supra TT. The N/A will probably make an easier car to drift (I find the 4AGE much easier to control than the SR20DET) but the TT still appeals to me more. So hopefully there will be a mkiv drifter on here soon.

I've been to a few drifting events in my 200sx, but haven't done any proper drifting in the supra. My supra is an auto anyway which might be tricky.

Having said that, I think the supra handles fantastically. I'm comfortable with flicking the back out - in fact most journeys ;) and it's always really controllable. It's actually a lot easier to get the rear to lose traction compared with my 200sx as there so much low down grunt and not a hint of understeer.

Didn't know the Torsen LSD was bad. The little I've read about it all seems positive. I would have thought it's a lot better than a viscous diff. Haven't tried keeping the power on long enough on mine to see what happens. Have you got some links to the torsen stuff you read?

Alot of the information I gained about the diff came from the guys at Driftworks forum. The performance is of the LSD is very important to drifters and they are not a fan of the Torsen LSD. Just not suited for drifting

A TRD diff will be better suited to drifting than a Torsen. An ATS 2-way is likey to be better still.

What is everyday driving like on a ATS 2-way ? and how much much do they cost. Anyone on here using an ATS

What is everyday driving like on a ATS 2-way ? and how much much do they cost. Anyone on here using an ATS

I don't know from personal experiance i'm afraid. But from what I have heard, it is quite harsh, and causes the outside tire to skip in tight turns etc. More a track diff than raod diff by the sounds of it.