The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hid Fog Lights

Loomie

Hi everyone,

I've been spending the last few days updating all the yellowing bulbs on the Supra and i'm a little stuck with the fog lights in the front headlights (the outermost bulbs). I've bough some LED h3 bulbs but they're not bright at all and don't really do anything.

These are the LED H3's i bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252133510570?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was wondering if anyone had tried using HID's in these bulbs and if they have, what was the output like? Was there much glare/did they shine down wards like normal fogs or were they blinding. I get really irritated by people who stick HID into normal xenon headlights and take no steps to ensure the beam pattern is shining where it should so i definitely dont want to do the same myself.

Here's an example of the type of HID kit i was interested in - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35W-55W-H7-H1-H3-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-REPLACEMENT-Headlight-Bulbs-Slim-Ballast-/221859588241?var=&hash=item33a7dca891:m:mnTkmx5e6FuLEBSCE3X1sfQ

Thoughts?

I did the same recently and tried upgrading my bulbs to match the HID dipped beam headlights. The foglight LEDs I got are pathetic! :D

In addition to the above, I'm pretty certain you can't run HID on the main beam lights, can anyone recommend some decent bulbs for them?

Cheers for the feedback guys! I'll look at getting some for the fogs too then. David P - which ones did you get? I'm assuming I'm going to need ones that plug into the existing wires right? The eBay jobbies in the top link should work right?

I might get some for the full beam too actually.

Jay - I've got hids already in the dipped beam and the beam pattern is spot on - no excess glare and doesn't blind anyone and lights the road well.

When I first bought mine it had the worst set of yellowed headlamps I have seen and after driving to Russia and back with those candles for lights I resolved to sort them out.

New headlamps I found were not good enough for spirited night driving and converted to all HID's.

The Angel eyes retain a stockish look and add a crafty pair of HID spots.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17255&d=1272463284

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=21977&d=1355429043

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Quite happy with that - even if my fingers have been destroyed trying to get the bulbs back in.

The bigger hid bulbs make it almost impossible to get the retainer clips back on.

The fog light on the passenger side seems to be a slightly different colour though [emoji53]

Lol, Yeh, I think it is in a bit wonky but the flicking clip won't close any other way!

I've never done anything so frustrating in my life.

Also, not sure if it was like this before, but it seems as though since swapping to HID, if I turn the high beams on the dipped also turn on. Is that normal?