The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do you put your Supra Off the Road ?

MichaelG

Not literally as in "off road" lol, but was wondering how many of you garage, or put your Supra off the road over the winter period ?

I have had mine sitting under a dust sheet in my work for about 12 weeks now, occasionally take it out and let her run for a while, make sure the brakes are free, and give her a polish etc. Then its back under the cover.

Missed using it to start with, but not now, my Kangoo Van has grown on me more in the past 12 weeks than it has in 3 years lol ! ;)

Just curious as to who else stores their car and if so in what way, and what do you do if anything to it whilst its off the road. I had my windows tinted and a new exhaust put on while its been sitting. :D

Michael

TBH, I bought the supra with the idea of using my 5 series to go to work in and general running around and keep the supra for weekends and stuf..

But I enjoy driving it FAR to much...

I'm dreading taking it off the road for all the work I'm doing to it before april...

Guess I'll have to drive the limited edition 5 series to work

PS : It is a limited edition version because mine came with the indicator option pack

Mine has been off the road since november!

Cant use it for work and when the weather is like it is at the moment id never use it. Getting it ready for april/may havn`t decided yet. Depends on funds :eek:

Took it for a quick run down the road today and appart from having a buggered battery, all is well :thumbs:

Mine has been in winter storage since October and won't be back on the road until all the road salt is washed away.

Basically keep the battery topped up, start the engine every two weeks and run for about 10mins, run the car back and forward a few times and park it in a slightly different position to allow the weight of the car to act upon a different part of the tyre tread. A polish every month will keep a small barrier between the paintwork and the atmoshpere which is a good thing in winter time due to the high humidity levels.

Oh yeah and a good application of anti-rust spray for the underside of the vehicle... again to counter-act the high humidity levels in winter time.

If you do all that then your car will be fine come summertime and in just as good a condition as when you took it 'off road'.

Im an all year round runner here; thought Id better post as none has. Wash the car every day/leather down and jet wash underside weekly.

We have no salt on the roads here; the council workers have put it on their chips. Car at least looks as good as new.

50 :thumbs:

I would just make sure your garage is well ventilated rather than adding a coat of stuff you may seal the moisture in. Dont keep much fuel in the tank as the octane will drop and you may get det when you use it in anger before you fill up next time. Use a float trickle charger and leave it connected and your battery will stay sweet. When you run it make sure the exhaust gets hot enough to evapourate all the moisture in it.

If you put it up on stands you can keep pressure of the tire and rotate wheels more frequently.

Drive it everyday come rain or shine - even snow and slush (v.gently - driving miss daisy style). What's the point of having it if your not going to use it :( There's been loads of nice, cold , dry days too when you can give it some welly. I view the crappy, wet days as a chance to improve my skills at catching the back end before it goes out too far :)

Drive it everyday come rain or shine - even snow and slush (v.gently - driving miss daisy style). What's the point of having it if your not going to use it :( There's been loads of nice, cold , dry days too when you can give it some welly. I view the crappy, wet days as a chance to improve my skills at catching the back end before it goes out too far :)

Exactly the same here! The supra is my only car and I use if for daily commute to work, getting the shopping, filling up with stuff from B&Q, going to the tip, etc....

Although: I used to view wet or cold days as days to improve my skills at catching the back end, at least until the time I didn't catch it and crashed :mad:

Mine's off the road too and stored in my garage. One of the main reasons for this is because i've got bald tyre's and the wheels/tyres which i wanted were not in stock for a few month. I'm desperate for them now though, should be here soon. Anonther reason is that everyone was saying what a bad winter it was going to be with snow and ice - it hasnt snowed once!!!! :banghead:

Im sick of the Xantia - bring back the Supra!

I've always debated the argument of why not use it all year round also... but if you think of the benefits of storing it away vs running all year round and I found it kinda balances itself out.

Good reasons for storing away:

-Keeps milage low and therefore holds resale value.

-Keeps away from road salt (many reasons for why this is a good reason)

-Tyre tread doesn't wear away.

-You keep your Supra away from the people who can't drive in winter time ie.people who can't drive in snow and ice.

-Chrome alloys hate road salt (and when you pay over £2500 for alloys you tend to want to protect them).

Bad reasons:

-You have a car sitting in your drive/garage which you wish you were driving.

-You waste money on insurance/road tax while it's just sitting there.

-Car can develop problems if you simply leave it for months without doing minor maintenance (as mentioned previously in this thread).

(erm... I can't think of any other bad reasons.. thats why mine is in storage for winter)

The above is my own opinion and will vary from owner to owner.

I use mine every day. I've been down the "keep it wrapped in cotton wool road" with previous cars and found that I rarely used them.

The Supra is just too much fun to leave sitting around for long. I garage mine everytime I park it at home, even for just 10 minutes, because there's never anywhere safe to damn well park around here :)

At the end of the day, and sorry if this offends anyone, its just a car and there to be used. The value is going to drop whether you use it or not, and I really don't think that any of us have bought a Supra as an investment :D

Sure, look after the thing, wash and wax it, maintain it, drive it carefully (as well as giving it some stick sometimes ;)) but for Gods sake use it!