The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear View Camera Fitted :)

SupraP-Z

So i put up a thread asking about rear view cams and who's got one. A few of you are running them in some quite genius places! Ive wanted to update the supe with something like this for a while, so i thought id give it a go fitting this camera:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311424530839?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Its High Definition, has night vision, waterproof and has a 170 degree field of view. The reason i chose this one is because it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb, no silly mounting brackets, looks like the stock camera newer cars use nowadays - inconspicuous! Also i have a headunit with a camera input, so hopefully it would work perfectly

Note: I did have to drill into the rear bumper to fit this.

I didn't take pictures at every stage so have used pics from other threads to help.

So first things first - placement. I wanted to function as best it could, ideally needed it to be in the centre of the car so the aftermarket lines matched up in correlation to the width of the car from the centre line. Inbetween the number plate lights there is a space that this camera fit perfectly, measured it before buying and it leaves a gap of 3/4mm on either side, when mounted here.

So i removed the middle screw from the assembly, which revealed a perfect sized hole which my guide bit from the hole saw from the kit fit into. Then onto the daunting task of drilling into the bumper :taped:

It was at that point i realised the drill wouldnt even fit in the space where the number plate sits. F*@k. Beaten and i havent even started! Sat there wondering where i could get a small drill strong enough to bore a hole into a plastic bumper, then i remembered something id seen a while back:

Right angled drill attachment - nice!

Ended up with this:

Drilled through the bumper and the number plate light assembly while it was still fixed to the bumper.

Then i removed the assembly and proceed to clean it up (it was filthy), debur the edges and try and see how the camera fit.

Before cleanup:

This particular camera has a metal collar nut that fixes it on from the back:

When the camera was fed through, it was a perfect fit, it held in place quite nicely without the collar - but i thought if im here i might as well do it properly. The collar nut fouled on the edges on the inside of the light assembly, so i got the dremel out and modified it till the collar sat in place and rotated freely:

I left just enough plastic on the middle tab for it to be secure and not buckle - didnt want to remove too much material and have the thing collapse!

After a quick debur and light sand i decided to test fit the camera:

Number plate light assembly then screwed back in and camera test fitted through the rear bumper:

Dont mind the dirt, she hasnt been washed in a while! And rest assured before the foam backing piece was placed behind the camera - it was cleaned...i promise! :p

After a little bit adjustment, i was happy with the position and proceeded to secure the thing in place. It came with a sticky back foam pad which i fitted - double sided so it sticks to the bumper and the cam. Then i tightened the metal collar into the threaded part, ain't moving anywhere :)

This pic was taken in a bit of a rush, im up on my drive and the car isnt sitting straight - but we used my little sisters stool to judge the distance and get the thing aligned haha. :sly:

The picture quality is surprisingly good, even at night! will try get some pics up of the screen later. Heres what the camera look like on the car:

When standing up, you can barely see the camera, its only when you get down a bit lower you can see it peeping out. I think it turned out quite well overall and im pleased with it - now just need a HD headunit so it can display the image even better :thumbs: ....oh and dont mind the dirt :D

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

Thanks man:) It's a worthy mod, and not too hard to do as long as you're careful. Tell you what took me bloody ages though, feeding that video RCA through the rear light loom bung...what an absolute PITA that was:badidea:

Looks very tidy

There are tow other smaller bungs with nothing in the down and inward of the rear light loom bung

Looks very tidy

There are tow other smaller bungs with nothing in the down and inward of the rear light loom bung

I tried those, they were literally half a mm too small and the connector wouldnt fit through it! I thought of drilling it slightly bigger, but didnt have my drill bits with me when i wired it all in, so i just used the original rubber boot, hard work, but looks good lol