The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bought New Gauge Faces, How to Calibrate needles??

Guest dreams95

Guest dreams95

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site, but have been in the supra community and into supra's for a long time now.

I am on my 4th 1994 MKIV Supra Project Right now and i have just bought new Cluster Faces from Naomi @ Metal Monkey.

I have searched around this site using the search button, but the instructions didn't really give me a very clear understanding.

My Car right now has White Cluster Faces (changed out by previous owner), And i can tell that my Coolant and Fuel are both calibrated correctly, my Rpm is just a little bit off by around 50-100rpms. And my Speedometer is completely off, it is reading currently 12MPH faster than what the actual speed of the car is.

How do i properly install these new gauge faces and properly remove the needles?

Are the Coolant and Fuel Self-Calibrated once i turn the key to the ON position they go to their normal places??

How do i properly calibrate RPM needle?

And as regards to my speedo, i read that some folks on here just drive their car at 60MPH with a GPS that reads the speed and then they place the speedo needle right on 60MPH, would that be the most effective way and efficient way??

Thanks

The needles have a spring preload so you can't just pull them off and expect them to be in the right places later without a lot of fiddling. That's probably what the person who did your previous gauges did.

From what I've read (and done on my car) the way to do it is to gently break the adhesive on the back of the gauge faces without removing the needle. Then rotate the whole face anticlockwise to remove the spring tension on the gauge and mark/photo/remember where it lands on the gauge. Then you can pop the needle and face off and put on the new face, without sticking it down yet. Then you put the needle back on at the place it rested before and turn the face until the needle stopper brings the needle back up to the right place. Now you can stick down the face properly. I've checked it with a digital speedometer that plugs into the ECU wiring and it's pretty good throughout the range of speeds.

I think to calibrate them properly if they're wrong at the moment you'll have to mark the current position they come to and then put them slightly further around than that.

Not sure about the fuel/temp gauge calibration.

You can have a read over of this supraforums thread, it's basically what I did.

Edited by mc92 (see edit history)

Guest dreams95

thanks for the reply. I am not quite sure that i still understand how to do it lol. I read through that thread, but i really learn alot better with pictures showing the steps. Without pictures im left a little dumbfounded. especially in that thread how he said to hold the needle at 120km/hr didnt quite get that part

I took a picture of the dials when the car was warm. Took them off, removed needles and faces, fitted new faces then rehooked up to the car without the needles or plastic cover. let the car get warm again then put the needles back on in the position from the picture. Just be sure to refit the needles with the ignition on :)

As above I waited for the car to warm up and stuck the engine temp needle in the middle and RPM around 650-700. Took a photo of the fuel gauge and put that back in the same place. Speedo one I went out with a friend in front of me doing 30 and pressed the needle on at that speed. Seemed to work okay for me