The mkiv Supra Owners Club

car cover

Gaz B

If it's outside then I strongly recommend no cover at all, give it a good clean and a few coats of wax then leave it. A cover WILL scratch it and cause paint damage, there have been multiple threads on this and no cover is the best option. My storm force rubbed on my paintwork and more members have had the same issue with the same and different covers.

I used a Stormforce cover a couple of winters ago. It fitted perfectly well over a wide body Supra with a TRD wing but it did more harm than good. As well as the rubbing of the paintwork, if there is the slightest damp on the car when you cover it the condensation it causes is dreadful. Half way through the winter I took it off.

I still have the cover, if anyone wants it they are welcome to for free, but only if they pick it up from south Buckinghamshire.

We got a Stormforce cover as the car was kept outside during the winter. Heavy winds would cause the cover to brush across the paintwork and make the Clifford alarm chirp and sometimes setting the car alarm off. Not to mention causing scratches to the paintwork! I'd probably advice leaving the car uncovered. Give the car a good wax and leave the cover off.

Where do you guys stand on the use of indoor covers? I was considering getting a custom made indoor cover for use while the car is stored/not used/not worked for prolonged periods. Suppose mainly to keep dust etc off the car. No risk of the wind moving the cover causing scratches, but I suppose there's still a risk in t removing/replacing the cover?

I had a cover for Supra which I got off ebay, fit the car perfectly and had slots for the spoiler/mirrors. Then after reading advice on here and some mysterious scratches appearing on the car after I had it on a week before a show, I never used it again. Now its sorned on the drive, with a full wax/seal/polish before the winter weather kicks in. I wouldnt recommend.

Where do you guys stand on the use of indoor covers? I was considering getting a custom made indoor cover for use while the car is stored/not used/not worked for prolonged periods. Suppose mainly to keep dust etc off the car. No risk of the wind moving the cover causing scratches, but I suppose there's still a risk in t removing/replacing the cover?

We use a custom made indoor cover on the Alfa when it's in the workshop or enroute to a meeting, you have to make sure the car is 100% clean and dry when you use it

alfa car cover.jpg

alfa car cover 2.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

We use a custom made indoor cover on the Alfa when it's in the workshop or enroute to a meeting, you have to makes sure the car is 100% clean and dry when you use it

Looks good - That would be the kind of thing I was thinking for my Supra. But reading what all you guys have to say has just confirmed my suspicion that I could probably end up doing more damage than good. To be fair - I have a large, dry garage, so it's not like I need a cover. I guess it was always more of an aesthetic thing/I just liked the idea of tucking my car away under a nice custom made/tailored cover while it was in the garage.