The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Problems

terribleturner

Ok, just got back from Power Engineering in Uxbridge and they have several interesting things that i'd like some opinions on.

Vehicle makes 1.2bar boost.

Boost Controller not working.

Unable to turn down boost.

Excessive boost causing detonation

Im sure that the Boost Controller was working not long ago, but i checked it out on the way home and he was right. He said that i need someone who knows the Greddy ????(can't remember which one at the moment) boost controller to fix the problem or think about a new one.

Should i be hitting 1.2bar with double decat, nur spec and induction (all mods below)??

So i need to reduce the boost on the car, but are there any other doors i can go down??

On a side note, while im there Vinnie Jones comes in asking if he can get someone to make his in car TV stay on while he's driving so that he can watch the football. I thought about going up to him and saying "But i saw you die last night (Snatch)!!!"

The bloke said fuelling was good on the car and wasn't too worried that i didn't have an uprated fuel pump.

I got a restrictor ring from CW when i got the decats.

I could be totatly wrong, but i get the feeling that the boost controller although seems like it's not work is actually stuck on perminatly. Can this happen do you think?? Even when it's not on.

Hornet, what PSI/bar are you running through yours?? And yours are stock turbos right??

As said earlier, a Boost Controller can not turn down the boost! It will take your base boost dependant on your wastegate spring and can hold it closed to build only more boost.

**EDIT** just read your reply that you have a restrictor ring fitted already... dunno what to say TBH. Do you have any + boost response from your Boost Controller?

The worrying factor i think is that, your car is boosting to 1.2 bar (max u can push safely on j spec), with restrictor ring, and assuming using shell optimax or similar and the car is still detonating, the possible cause could be that the fuel is not being delivered quick enough at high revs (assuming car is detonating at higher revs), from what i have heard on this forum, a jspec with the above mods for saftey would require an uprated fuel pump!

the fact that the boost controller is not working, should not be causing this as you are not boosting beyond 1.2bar as the restrictor rings will not let you.

either have the boost brought down to 1.0bar (smaller restrictor ring...i think dont know any other way) or so or get the uprated fuel pump and make sure you are running on higher ocatane fuel (shell optiamx if possible)

regards

amz

no your fuel pump will not be causing you to over boost, it may not be supplying the fuel fsat enough as you are pushing 1.2 bar, your pushing 1.2 bar because of the decats and exhaust, and the restrictor ring is keeping the boost safe at 1.2 bar. (assuming max boost your getting at the moment is 1.2 bar).

as stated before, if ur getting 1.2 bar boost max on the gauge, and car is detonating, the main cause in your case from what i can see is the fuel pump, it may not be up to the job in supplying the fuel quickly enough for that kind of boost.

if i were you i would turn off the controller or replace it, i.e (let the car run with decats and restrictor ring and no boost increase Via boost controller) if your getting no more than 1.2 bar then boost controller is obviously not active, and then get a walbro fuel pump or similar, as you will need this anyway just to be on the safe side (rather be safe than sorry).

Bottom line is the J spec fuel pump may not be up to the job when pushing 1.2bar boost, hence you may get detonation.

HTH