The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are NA Auto's really that slow??

Big Supes

Thought I'd post this to see if there was something up with Lola. I don't get to drive her much, but when I do, I am genuinely shocked at how slow she is. Just blending in with morning rush hour traffic and people are looking over and thinking I am racing them... I mean, WTF. :D The engine doesn't skip a beat and the auto box changes gears ok... maybe something wrong with the torque converter?

I would say my Focus Estate turbo diesel would give it a run for it's money!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment on Auto Supras but, when I had a 300ZX Auto a couple of years back, it always drove as if the clutch was slipping in a manual; that is, it'd rev up for a few seconds first before it started to move - there was no urgency to the motion at all.

Turns out the slushbox was past it's prime. Dunno if Supras are the same or not though...

Its very strange. In launch it pulls really well, gets into second... Meh... into 3rd and 4th and its a complete joke. No blue smoke (but will compression and leak down test it anyway), no misfires, brakes are totally free.

I can't say if feels like the clutch is slipping... Its more like its sounds like you should be holding on for dear life, but the car is hardly moving.

My old 2002 Focus really shouldn't be able to give it a run for its money, surely (low speeds or at high speeds).

They really are that slow yes especially auto.

How odd. Does the auto box sap that much power as the manual NA's aren't all that bad? I remember my old 5sp being quite slow, but once it was above 80mph, it was actually quite reasonable.

I guess a TT transplant is on the horizon...

The torque on the modern diesels certainly will not help and make it feel faster than the NA auto and pulling away with 1700kg and only 200 odd bhp it will be a bit slow. Saying that my NA6 I could easily light up the tyres and was pretty quick for an NA, I would say roughly 7 seconds to 62mph. Do a quick 0-62mph and see what sort of time you get or go race someone else with an NA auto.

I have driven an NA Auto before buying my old Supra and it was revving and sounding like a beast but driving like a 90 year old granny, I had an Audi A6 1.9 tdi at the time and i would of had this supra any time. If I am not mistaking the engine and gearbox weigh over 400kg + torque converter. I think the brilliance of a 2JZ comes only when force induced. Otherwise, if all NA supras are like that, it struggles to cope.

Lets get the facts right in his topic. N/a supra weights max 1500 kilos and it got 220hp, so it has a decent p/w ratio. N/a manual did go 0-60 in 6 sec and i don't believe that auto is that much slower in straight line.

I have test driven n/a auto once and it was a dog slow because of crappy box. Seller said that it is healthy box but i didn't believe it. It changed gears so slowly that revs did drop way too down, under 2000rpms. It was also badly maintained car: old and cheap spark plugs, standard exhaust with noisy cat back (20+ year old cat just doesn't flow anymore) crap intake and so on. It just didn't rev. Overall it did feel totally different engine than my own car engine which is in good shape.

However, 2jz-ge standard ecu does go to the eco mode in between 3000-4000 rpm, and if you want to go faster you have to skip that. It gives you good fuel economy, but it doesn't rev or it doesn't make good torque in mid range. So i recommend for all n/a Supra owners that you change for aftermarket tuned ecu, like Mines, Tom's, Amuse or similar. It is superb modification, it makes the whole engine much better to drive and especially gives you a lot of more torque in mid range/more linear power output. It will fucked up fuel mileage tho, because throttle response is so sharp and it doesn't cruise that economically in highway speeds (60-70 mph).

Edited by LasseV (see edit history)