The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot gas struts

SupraP-Z

Is there a way to refill these things or would i have to invest in some new ones? Over the weekend i was fitting the new rear view camera i purchased, one strong gust of wind later - the boot lid slammed down onto my head! :help::twak:

Painful weekend to say the least, was seeing double for a few mins, though id got two cameras for the price of one! :D

The damn thing is just about strong enough to hold itself up, any more pressure and its like a bloomin guillotine!

sgs engineering gets my vote, had nothing but great service and quality products from them!

I contacted SGS a couple of years back and they will only refurb your original struts rather than supply new or do an exchange meaning you have to add your postage cost to their web price. That tailgate is very heavy without any strut assist at all so I never bothered. Their price was high when you consider I bought 2 new ones for my daughters Corsa for £14.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

I am nearly sure the SGS struts are Aluminium , a good few Members got SGS struts via the group buy a few years back

They were uprated , think a few people had issues with them being too powerful LOL

Have SGS moved away from the supply your own for refurb that they were a couple of years back? The ideal way to swap out struts is one at a time so you have a bit of support for the heavy tailgate resting on your head which isn't possible if they both have to be sent off for refurb together. You'd definitely need a strong friend or 2 to help out fitting a strut to a strutless tailgate. The missus just wouldn't cut it.

Thank you for your enquiry with SGS Engineering. Yes, that is correct - we can supply the struts at £30.75 per strut - with £5.30 carriage (Mainland UK) plus VAT.

We would require the original struts sending in to us so when can refurbish the original brackets. They would need to be sent along with a covering note to the below address

SGS Engineering (UK) Limited

2, Westside Park

Belmore Way

Raynesway

Derby

DE21 7AZ

I took mine off myself and re-installed

Mine have always been dodgy. I've lost count of how many times I've been hit in the head by the boot. I've had a spare set to fit for ages now but am I right in thinking half of the interior panels need to be removed to get at the fixings?

just be carefull with sgs , I ordered adjustable ones for my truck , as I didn't know the force required cost about £60 , but they leaked the grub screw was the fault it didn't shut and seal properly after id let the gas out .

anyway I phoned them up they said send them back at my cost , once they had them they wouldn't send them back to me unless I paid another lot of P+P and that's after id specifically asked about the return