The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T78-29 Greddy kit

Jellybean

Hey

Looking into some turbo kits , T78 I heard sounds good and has a nice kick, was looking at the HKS TO4z and based on driving my friends R34, it is a very linear power curve

I found my BPU had more of a Kick, for obvious reasons his got there alot quicker but more refined

Anybody have a T78-29 , are Greddy good kits?

That's probably the oldest turbo still available for the Supra. It will be very laggy.

Much better with an equivalent Whifbitz or SRD turbokit using a modern Garrett, Bw or Precision turbo.

Thanks , but it is 3760 euro delivered ex customs ; suppose you could always add a modern turbo on later

But you could buy a HKS, Whifbitz or SRD turbokit minus the turbo, and choose a turbo to suit your goals. I've just bought a HKS kit, and a Garrett turbo I sized myself. If you go T78, as well as having to buy a new turbo down the line, you'll also need to pay for the car to be mapped again.

The kit is no different to what is on the market today, granted the Turbo is old Tech

For the price , putting up with a T78 for a year or two is not the worst ; HKS Turboless is probably a better option for me

What puts me off Precision Turbo's is the lack of support , any issues and it has to be sent stateside

Ofcourse the kit is different, its not a twin wastegate, divided turbo manifold with a billet collector and fancy welds is it now ;).

But im sure it will be great with a modern turbo on :)

;)

If the price point is right , I will get a kit from the EU but it is 2980 euro for the HKS Turboless kit shipped , its easy to put a low invoiced amount against it for Customs

Turbo wise

Borg Warner S300 SXE

Garrett GTX

Precision Gen 2 units are $$$$ plus support is an issue

I decided against precision in the end because of the support issue. Plus, precision are a tiny company next to Garrett, Garrett are oem equipment for many high performance cars. No doubt they perform will, but there's more to it than that when building a good car.

I would also go for a divided manifold with a single wastegate unless aiming for big power. A twin wastegate manifold is additional expense and compilation for little benefit if you're only aiming for 500-600hp.

I decided against precision in the end because of the support issue. Plus, precision are a tiny company next to Garrett, Garrett are oem equipment for many high performance cars. No doubt they perform will, but there's more to it than that when building a good car.

I would also go for a divided manifold with a single wastegate unless aiming for big power. A twin wastegate manifold is additional expense and compilation for little benefit if you're only aiming for 500-600hp.

Not quite true, we gained around 400rpm spool up time when testing our twin wastegate manifolds back to back against an HKS manifold. 400rpm is a lot on the road or track, this is why we decided to stop production of our single wastegate kit and just sell the twin version.

HKS and Greddy manifolds both crack over time as well, we cracked a few back in our early days of Time Attacking, part of what prompted us to make our turbo kits.

We've never had one of our crack in 7 years of producing them which is pretty good going compared to other brands out there.

I agree with Precision, any problems and you're in trouble. Borg Warner and Garrett have plenty of support in the UK, not that they tend to go wrong much.

If you are using Garrett make sure you upgrade the bearings, Owen Developments do some nice upgrades for them.

Garrett turbine housings are like chocolate as well, again back in our Time Attack days the housings cracked, warped and fell apart under the abuse we gave them. Switched to Borg Warner and never had a problem again.

I think there are some nice stainless steel housings available for the Garretts now, definately worth doing if you want them to last.