The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yearly Service - What to do

JackyBoi

So I've owned my Supra for just over a year now (and I've loved every minute of it) and feel that it's time to give her a full service over winter ready for the start of next year, but I have a few questions about what items to go for etc. So far on my list I have:

- New polybushes for front and rear suspension (this is something I've needed to do for a while)

- New summer tyres, thinking Pilot Super Sports

- Oil change (is 10w40 adequate for a stock engine?)

- Coolant change (is Toyota's own premixed coolant the best to go for?)

- New oil and fuel filter, again what's the best brand to go for?

- New spark plugs (thinking NGK but what heat range?)

Also want to get it on a ramp and look for any signs of wear on any other components. Is there anything I've missed which I should really be doing? What do you guys do when doing a typical full service? Thanks everyone

Id change

Engine oil + filter

Gearbox oil

Differential oil

Brake fluid

Coolant

Power steering fluid

Air filter

Spark plugs

Vacuum hoses

Wheel alignment + tyres

And anything else you want sorting like your bushes. Ive finally changed all my fluids

Amazing what effects fluid have when good, and the effects when bad, youd think the area of the car had, had it!

Few points covered here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?56684-FAQ-Oil-Fluid-Interval-Capacity-Steering-Brake-Coolant-Diff-Engine

Suspension wise, polybushes will be a massive PITA to do but if needs must then Whifbitz have some. You could also replace with OEM parts but thats an expensive (but very rewarding apparently) task.

I'm running Michelin PS2's and they're pretty good in most conditions :)

I'd remove all the brake pads then clean and inspect the brake calipers along with all the above

Use brake cleaner with a toothbrush or similar, you can buy it in aerosols in Halfords or other car parts shops

Use an Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze, it doesn't have to be Toyotas

When you get it on the ramp have a close look at the cross member the rad sits on as these are prone to rotting

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Be warned.. Bushes are an absolute twat,

I'm currently rebuilding my rear subframe and I can't wait for it to just be done! Not to mention they arnt cheap. I'm using superpro bushes which are supposedly the best polyurethane bushes you can buy and you do pay slightly more for them but subframe, diff, arb and all the control arms it's come in at around £700 and that's just the rear. It's easy to get carried away too. My subframe has been shotblasted and zinc primed too. Fuel tank removed so I could clean it out, then the whole rear end cleaned and degreased, hammerited and undersealed. Started out as just two knackered bushes being replaced and it's snowballed into a rear end rebuild lol

Be warned.. Bushes are an absolute $#@!,

I'm currently rebuilding my rear subframe and I can't wait for it to just be done! Not to mention they arnt cheap. I'm using superpro bushes which are supposedly the best polyurethane bushes you can buy and you do pay slightly more for them but subframe, diff, arb and all the control arms it's come in at around £700 and that's just the rear. It's easy to get carried away too. My subframe has been shotblasted and zinc primed too. Fuel tank removed so I could clean it out, then the whole rear end cleaned and degreased, hammerited and undersealed. Started out as just two knackered bushes being replaced and it's snowballed into a rear end rebuild lol

Is this kit similar to what you bought for yours?

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/suspension-parts/poly-bushes/super-pro-1100.html

I'm paying a mechanic to do the work as obviously it's a big job and one that I can't do myself! Anyone have a suggestions as to what heat range spark plug to go for??

How much would you expect a garage to charge to change all the bushes?

From what I've researched, it's a complete lottery depending on the condition of the bushes that need to come out. 9 times out of 10 on these cars there will be at least one that takes the kitchen sink to remove. Absolute pig of a job. I've not had it done yet so interested to see what people have had charged as well but won't be cheap I'd imagine

pilot super sports are a great choice. Very impressed with mine.

I run the NGK race plugs (about £180) but worth it with big power... R7436-9

Thanks for that, what heat range did you go for?

How much would you expect a garage to charge to change all the bushes?

My best guess would be anywhere between 10-20 hours depending on how stuck the old bushes are, so around £500-£1000?