The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New interior suggestions

bayside_supra

Hi everyone

I haven't been on here for a couple of months as my car leaked all its power steering fluid a few weeks back and I haven't had the time or money to fix it. The car is at Whifbitz now getting sorted so I can start enjoying the Supra on the days it's not raining over winter.

I have won an incentive at work to the tune of £1000 and I was thinking about finishing off my interior so have a few options available.

I have oem recaros at the moment, which are in very good nick.

I want some leather. My options are to retrim the current seats (unlikely), sell the current ones and buy some used recaros and have them retrimed, or buy some brand new seats which are leather already.

I want them to be black leather with blue stitching/piping/centres with either the word RECARO or SUPRA in blue on them.

I'm not sure what to do. I work in a dealership so have all the facilities available and I can pay a touch more if the £1k budget doesn't cover it. I would get the rears done to match if I'm getting the fronts retrimmed.

If I were to buy some new seats, should I get recaro speeds? Like these? Or are there any better seats for this sort of money? Must be leather.

Any advice would be appreciated. I already have bride rails in the car.

This is the car btw.

Thanks

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)

If I was in your shoes I would sell the OEM recaros's and get a nice chunk of cash, then buy some brand new Recaro Speeds. if you buy second hand they need to be cheap to make it worth while.

I worked out the figures and after factoring in new bolsters before the re-trim, it takes it up to near new prices (you do have the advantage of having subframes already). Id rather have new seats, with fresh foam and a nice 1k receipt for the cars history.

Your bolsters look in good condition from your pictures, so you shouldn't need to buy new foam if you chose to get your existing Speeds retrimmed.

A decent leather trim for front and rear seats should be around the £1k mark. If you decided to buy new Speeds, be aware that any marked as being Ambla Leather don't have any real leather on them - Ambla leather is a fully synthetic covering!

I'm not a fan of the blue ones either. I think there is too much blue as well. Does anyone know if you can buy real leather recaros brand new even if they were all black?

Loomie your seats look good but not exactly what I was after thanks though.

Dnk black with blue stitching was what I had in mind.

I actually have all the dash stuff planned to do ;)

A quick question. Are all Recaro Speeds the same size? Will these ones from an Evo 4 fit my car and rails ok if I got them rebuilt?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262133709743

Recaro Speed seats are all the same dimensions, regardless of whether they came new from Recaro themselves or are sourced from an Evo IV or Integra or Civic Type R. They all share the same mounting points beneath the seat as well. :)

Recaro SR seats are the same dimensions too, although they have spikier shoulder sections.

Recaro Speed seats:

Recaro SR seats:

The bases are the same between the two variants... only the upper foam sections (bolsters and beneath the harness slots) are different.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the info. The SR seats are just as nice aren't they.

I found a German company that will make Speeds in any finish I want. They are on eBay but I emailed them about doing them in full black leather with blue stitching. Only thing is they can't do the rears to match from Germany!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252150284384

I might have buy the old ones and get the whole interior done how I want, then sell the OEM ones.

I'm tending to agree I'm on the hunt for some past it recaros. Are there any other cars they were fitted to that would be suitable? Other than Evo 4s, civics and integras?

I quite like the SR's what cars were they in?

Also what do you all think to doing the centres of the seats in perforated leather and the edges in normal leather? Like my new Alfa co. car has got....

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Coming back to this, I picked up a pair of Recaro SRs which are going to be retrimmed now. The plan is black leather with blue stitching.

The only think I can't make my mind up on is which logo I should get embossed in them. Options are, supra logo in blue, Recaro logo in blue, or Recaro logo in white like Recaros come with. What do we think???

Anyone got any pictures of seats done with the supra logo on them?

The bloke Jurgen gets to retrim seats does the fronts for £450 in proper leather no pleather shit he does the different colour stitching included IIRC if your bolsters are kaput I'm sure the guy will fit them no problem while he trims them.

Should come in way under budget assuming bolsters arnt silly money to buy?

Also the Leather the bloke trimms them in feels much better quality than any of the standard crap that Recaro put on.

Recaro seem to like using that nasty pleather that Audi put on S-Line seats.

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Personally I'd stick with the Recaro name on the seat.

Putting Supra on it somehow cheapens the look in my mind. Very boy racer.

That^^

The Supra name stitched in looks very Max Power 90s get them trimmed all black leather with black stitching and perhaps the Recaro name restitched in a Blue to match your car.

Simple-Classy you will be swimming in bitches ;)