The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do i go Manual or Built auto?

rob.sherer

Hi ladies and gent's,

i have been thinking about this for some time now and not sure what to do!

Do i either convert my supra to a manual or a built auto?

I am aiming for around 750-800bhp build and with the current power figures I'm running (around 550hp) my auto box seems to last for very little time, so I'm wanting your advice guys plus pros and cons for both.

I would like a manual for the fun factor of it all but i do like the acceleration of the autos and the ease of driving them as i would think that the clutch would be quiet heavy in the manual, and i know that the manual conversions are a fair bit more than the built auto boxes.

So can someone please give me some advise or let me know if you were in the same position and what you did ect ect.

Cheers! :)

I ran 550 on an auto box with no issues for a very long time, are you running an auto box cooler? Is it mapped to reduce the wear on the box

I have to say 550 bhp is enough for me 99% of the time on our roads, the step to 750/800 is expensive and you make your car less fun for the 99% of the time IMO, add the cost of a built boxor 6 speed and its a very expensive journey

Ive got a built auto on mine, the remains of Jamesy's BoostLogic box lol. It feels alright at low speeds/power, thats as far as Ive got so far.

If the choice is built auto or that awful 6 speed, built auto. Plus an auto will be faster ;)

Or if the op has the money consider one of these new dsg boxes the mk4 auto was good in its day 20odd years ago but it's old tech now. I wouldn't say autos are always faster look at Jamie and Kann's monster. JP when he had 850bhp did a 10.5 on street tyres,pump fuel then Kann with more power and 60% ethanal did 11.4

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Wait for SRD 8speed kit, Lees revealing details on price soon (according to facebook page) best bet though is to Contact him directly to state your interest and get a rough idea for price, the fun of flappy paddle manual but easy of Auto when its wanted.

Or you've got whifblitz 7speed Auto kit

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

It's personal preferance really. If it's not your main car and it's just for fun, manual. I'm in the middle of converting mine to manual at the minute (just gathering the last few parts). If it was an every day car I'd stay auto, but I want to track it and drift it so there's no other option really. Yes a built auto will be easier to drive and more comfortable, but whats the fun in that? Even whenever I'm on backroads having a bit of a spirited drive, I just can't help but think that I'd be having 10x more fun in a manual.

I for one can't wait to use my extremely harsh 3 puck paddle clutch on the road.. lol

That's more down to driver skill and the car setup. the same driver, in two identical cars but one auto and one manual, the auto will win. But obviously manuals are superior on track (unless you're including sequential and DCT transmissions)

Nah Kaan couldnt build boost to launch hard off the line, he would need a bigger high stall or trans brake, then the results would be similar. Its not skill related, but all car setup. Hence me suggesting to the OP he might well ask whats its like having that much power and being auto.

6spd or 8spd flappy paddle IMO. I still can't see past the 6spd and unlike a lot of peoples experience, mine is silky smooth so I guess I'm a bit bias. I wouldn't have an auto Supra though, that's what the daily beater is for.

IMO the 8spd is a real game changer if the price is right. It's a brilliant mix for most people.

Or if the op has the money consider one of these new dsg boxes the mk4 auto was good in its day 20odd years ago but it's old tech now. I wouldn't say autos are always faster look at Jamie and Kann's monster. JP when he had 850bhp did a 10.5 on street tyres,pump fuel then Kann with more power and 60% ethanal did 11.4

eeermmm..... no dissing kann. but jamie had much more experience. and bigger boots,, LOL

Cant see many people running pauls 7 speed box lol especially when the figures floating around are ridiculous. 6 speed manual takes some beating and prob will be my next gearbox but saying that my stock TT autobox took big power through it with just a couple of coolers (single setup and big hks twins) great drive.

SRD new gearbox is very tempting and perfect for everyday driving i would imagine, even considering that myself if costs are good.. apparently working on prices at the moment

Sure, the Whifbitz DCT won't be very common, but it is the best transmission currently available for the Supra.

The ISF box that SRD supplies is great, not as good as the one above, but then it is a lot cheaper. The other downside being that these gearboxes are rare second hand, and brand new will be eye-wateringly expensive.

V160 / V161 is tried and tested, bombproof, and is the best setup if you must have a manual box. It won't compare to the above 2 boxes in usability though, and buying a second hand 6 speed conversion will be every bit as expensive as the SRD option.

Stock auto / tiptronic is a good setup on a budget, and can handle decent torque / power. It's gearshifts won't be as smooth as the first 2 boxes, and comparatively it will sap power and economy. But it is still nice to use, especially when upgraded with paddleshifters, and you could buy 20 spare boxes for the price of a 6 speed swap...

We should just be thankful we have so many great choices. Hats off to Whifbitz, SRD and Syvecs for continually developing these great cars :cool:

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Sure, the Whifbitz DCT won't be very common, but it is the best transmission currently available for the Supra. The ISF box that SRD supplies is great, not as good as the one above, but then it is a lot cheaper. The other downside being that these gearboxes are rare second hand, and brand new will be eye-wateringly

Would be interested to see the data you have on this comparison and why you feel the SRD conversion is inferior? Personally I believe it's the other way round. The DCT box won't handle the levels of power the ZF’s 8-Speed Automatic Transmission can, plus there's extra gearing.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/645758-zf-s-8-speed-automatic-transmission-in-our-isf.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847617

"A modern torque converter auto with multiple gears and full electronic control is a very fine thing"

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

There are BMWs in the states running 1000whp through these boxes. The ISF box is a great box, but it is still a conventional automatic with a torque converter. The BMW box is a dual clutch transmission, as found in many hypercars and the Nissan GTR. Less transmission loss, quicker shifts etc.

As I said before though, it's nice to have options at different price points :)

There are BMWs in the states running 1000whp through these boxes. The ISF box is a great box, but it is still a conventional automatic with a torque converter. The BMW box is a dual clutch transmission, as found in many hypercars and the Nissan GTR. Less transmission loss, quicker shifts etc.

As I said before though, it's nice to have options at different price points :)

Agreed in part. I think the ZF will be much smoother in reality mind.

Options is always good ;)