The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18's or 19's, which ride best?

trebor69

I have another Supra and it has 19" Jade R's on with a 30 and a 35 tyre but I'm not happy with the ride, my last Supra had 18" Advan 7's with a 35 and 40 tyre and it felt so much better, the 19's seem to "wander" a lot easier and just generally feel more "solid" (like it has solid rubber tyres on it). It has standard shocks on whereas the other supra had Tein springs with Bilstein shocks along with the 18's but felt so much more comfortable. Is this how they are with bigger wheels? or am I imagining things?

To be quite honest I don't really like the Jade R's and would much prefer the 18" Advan 7 spokes I used to have but I'm unsure as to wether they would fit over my big brakes.

Has anyone experienced this with a bigger wheel?

I think they are talking ride in specific ride quality/compliance terms so higher profile the more give/suspension. The 17's were only really added to allow the brakes to fit so toyota must of thought the 16's were at least on a par handling wise though?

I think all the proper race ones had 17s on track and 18s on show. I could be wrong though, it does happen occasionally :D

More band is definitely better for comfort, but I just have it in the back of my head that it means understeer.

The ride on stock wheels (had both 17 an 16) is incredible, most have not experienced what Toyota intended, a real GT smooth ride

Agree, and tbh I have a stock boosting fully catted TT and it drives so smooth and gt like compared to the less linear bpu modded one, another stock setup few will have experienced.

Can be down to alignment, tyre width, suspension components, etc. More sidewall hides a lot of the issues on our older cars. I didn't notice any difference going from 18s to 19s but I feel my wishbones are starting to get to the age they need replacing.

Of course there's a HUGE difference when hitting potholes, etc. Tyre width is more likely to cause issues with tramlining etc.