The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member looking for my first twin turbo supra

supraleon

Hello everyone

I've just joined this forum with the hope of owning a twin turbo supra. This has been a dream for many years and the time has come to start my search. Would love a manual supra but i don't think I will fined one within my budget. But am unsure weather to go for a auto or tiptronic model. i'm hoping to find a good one for under £10.000. Any advise or help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Rust. They're all getting on a bit now and the UK roads are not kind. Suspension parts, exhaust and driveline can be replaced but it all adds up and it's just not worth buying a rotten shell. That said they're generally solid cars, certainly better than some much newer.

The original auto ('93~'97) is very nice to drive, not had a go in the tiptronic ones so can't compare. Are you worried about UK model or Import? If not that makes things easier. There is a guide on things to look out for when buying a Supra..

If you can, bring a friend along who has the job of talking you out of it.

Thanks for your advice. Is there anything in particular I should lookout for underneath. Also would normal auto or tiptronic be better or does it not matter.

Some are pretty good underneath and some can be quite nasty, far too many have damage where they're jacked up in

the wrong place, lots are very rusty. The front cross member that the rad sits on is prone to rot and hard to see unless your

under the car.

I'd be asking a seller about what's been replaced on the car and with what parts. Intercoolers, radiators, heater matrix

are prone to falling apart now, brake calipers commonly seizing, suspension bushes and ball joints, the ball joints can't be

replaced yet afaik and you have to buy a complete arm, they're not cheap and there's 10 of them with ball joints.

Lots of other parts to consider so buy a nice one that's been loved by a genuine owner with folders full of receipts etc, don't

assume if it's a members car it'll be looked after, quite a few aren't

Thanks guys your help is much appreciated. I'm not worried if its import or uk model really as long as I can get a really good condition supra with as much spec as possible for my money. Not even worried if its modified as long as its been done well. I have the guide to buying a supra printed off now. so just need to find a supra.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what my plans are gonna be yet as I did go over budget abit to get this supra. But i am thinking of tinting the rear windows straight away and maybe a new stereo. I plan on keeping this car a long time, so in time I will definitely go for some more power and a paddle shift conversion. But for now it will be getting used to the power it has and how it handles and enjoying a dream car.