The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mpg??

Guest Sizer

My NA averages about 18-20mpg

So does my TT. You should note that Faye has an aftermarket exhaust and decat, which will consume a little more fuel over standard.

The actual MPG isn't much different between them, however, you can get away with putting normal unleaded fuel in an NA. Jap TT's need expensive Optimax or Ultimate really (as they are designed for higher RON fuels in the mother land) ;)

ooooo....I thought the TT would use alot more, someone somewhere quoted 15mpg. Thought it may be a factor when making a decision but i guess not.

Mind you I dont know what my car uses!....i know its alot..lol

So does my TT. You should note that Faye has an aftermarket exhaust and decat, which will consume a little more fuel over standard.

The actual MPG isn't much different between them, however, you can get away with putting normal unleaded fuel in an NA. Jap TT's need expensive Optimax or Ultimate really (as they are designed for higher RON fuels in the mother land) ;)

Did the same MPG bone stock too :conf:

I'm getting about 16-18mpg (TT auto) around town/short runs these cold days, maybe a bit more when the weather warms up a bit.

I don't drive with economy in mind ;) but its not all foot hard down thrashing either. Cars like the Supra just aren't built for economy.

It doesn't really worry me, but it probably would if I was doing 20-30k miles per year :p

As for the difference between TT and N/A, personally I don't think there's going to be a lot in it, fuel consumption wise.

I usually get about 280 to 300max from a tankfull. That's mainly motorway driving.

When we did the mkivsupra.net trip to Amsterdam in Sep 03 I was getting about 7mpg during the highspeed bits (130 to 150mph for 30odd miles) You can almost see the fuel gauge needle moving at those speeds.

Technically a turbo car will have better fuel economy than it's NA counterpart, up to a certain percentage of throttle activation (not sure on the percentage, guess about 10-15%).

There's a VERY detailed explanation of why this is and it can be explained in entire volumes of text!!

But basically it's because there is no loss due to induction charge robbing and exhaust return that you get on 2 of the 4 strokes in a NA engine. The exhaust and charge are under various pressures and the crank doesn't loose energy by drawing in or pushing out gasses from the cylinder (also why putting a big free flowing exhaust on a NA messes up the power curves), even on idle the turbo helps prevent these problems.