The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who's got a rear view camera fitted?

SupraP-Z

Never really had problem with parking the supe but with all the new technology out on some of the more modern cars - its a function that seems really useful, especially with some having recording capabilities.

Ive been trying to look for some, but would like it to look discreet. Some of the ones ive found look a bit boxy but have the right kind of mounting point that im looking for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Wide-Night-Vision-HD-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-LED-Sensor-/231390415722?hash=item35dff18b6a:g:1HAAAOSw8d9Utly-

Something like this looks like it would fit the bill. There was one thread i saw where a chap had mounted a camera into the boot key recess in the rear lights, that looked awesome, but wouldnt allow you to see the back of your bumper, only what was directly behind you.

What cameras have you guys used, and where have you placed them - any discreet ones about?

I fitted one onto mine last weekend - if your headunit has an input its super easy. I got a cheap £14 one from amazon with leds built in, for a little extra brightness which turn on when the reverse light is on.

I put mine directly in the middle facing the back of the bumper so i can judge distance effectively.

I'll post some pics of it installed tonight when i get home.

The camera i bought was http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VWMY6CI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 which looks a bit funky on amazon but installed its not too bad - it could never claim to be OEM though.

sold the car just under a couple of years back - had a scan - don't have any meaningful pictures for what you are looking for.

As mentioned above - get one with night vision LEDs - that is what I had and it worked extremely well.

EDIT - here is a pic of the rear view camera installed on my car.

IMG_7259.jpg

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Thats why you leave the lock mechanism in the inside of the boot so worst case scenario, you can drop the back seats and unlock the boot :D

asking for trouble if you need to get in boot and release doesent work :D

Theres plenty of angled ones - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Wide-Night-Vision-HD-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-LED-Sensor-/231390415722?hash=item35dff18b6a:g:1HAAAOSw8d9Utly-

Would fit nice up where the number plate lights are, smaller the better.

Taken from my build thread

I bought a wireless reverse camera kit a while ago and decided to hook this up too, I decided to get rid of the lock and fit the camera into the boot key hole. It sort of fits but needs a little modding. I am getting some slight damp around the light so I need to seal it when I get the chance…

attachment.php?attachmentid=182674&stc=1&d=1395784060

You can see the camera clearly in this picture, right light cluster

attachment.php?attachmentid=182675&stc=1&d=1395784060

Picture of how it looks on the screen in reverse, It would be nice for the lines to be not there but its part of the camera, gives me a rough idea of space if visibility is poor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=182676&stc=1&d=1395784060

I have one as apart of my kenwood head unit. If you want the reverse lines accurate you will need to have it in the centre of the car. Mine is between the number plate lights.

If you running a stock bumper google the Supra Rav4 reverse camera mod, its brilliant

Here you are

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?643446-Rear-Camera-install

Not a great idea on a facelift though, given all the trouble with the internal boot release :D

You say that but mine has been perfectly fine, infact I used mine a lot to put the pram in and everything we went anywhere the missus wanted to take enough items for an army! :D

I have one as apart of my kenwood head unit. If you want the reverse lines accurate you will need to have it in the centre of the car. Mine is between the number plate lights.

If you running a stock bumper google the Supra Rav4 reverse camera mod, its brilliant

Here you are

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?643446-Rear-Camera-install

This is my favourite one so far, very OEM looking without sticking out like a sore thumb - this is the kind of thing im after but would also like to put it in the centre. Theres one clip in the centre of the two lights, is this integral to holding the bumper in place at all? I know a few guys have placed it in the centre, what have you done with the clip?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311424530839?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the one ive just bought, should fit perfectly between the Number plate lights - will let you guys know how this pans out. Dreading removing the rear bumper!

What do you need to take the bumper off for?

I'd take the offside rear light out, pass the cable through the gland there.

You should be able to feed the cable down to the numberplate light area from the gap you get after taking the light out.

Also, that camera isnt a flush mount, you'd have to drill into something to fit it. it could work.