The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dyno time @ devildevelopments

binfieldx

Figures look optimistic but at least you have a nice yardstick to compare others at the same dyno with :)

Boost looks good but fuelling looks a little lean. Was it being measured at the exhaust tip, wondering how much that effects the reading.

It was the dyno reccomended by lee @ srd so im happy with it :D i believe they just stick a sensor a slight way in the pipe for the fueling. Also TTC is true turbo conversion where they are setup to both come on at the same time rather than sequential. Top figure is flywheel hp and bottom is figure at the wheels

It was the dyno reccomended by lee @ srd so im happy with it :D i believe they just stick a sensor a slight way in the pipe for the fueling. Also TTC is true turbo conversion where they are setup to both come on at the same time rather than sequential. Top figure is flywheel hp and bottom is figure at the wheels

Ahhh...interesting. Thanks the for the reply! :thumbs:

Its the same dyno everyone else uses. I assume internals are standard havent been told otherwise. I thought WHP was around 15% less than flywheel which works out to 68hp less at wheels from my 453 which is quite close to 73bhp..?

I am going back quite a few years when quoting not seeing any more than 400BHP form a BPU motor, even with a bigger FMIC, exhaust etc, I think there was once a claim of 420BHP but it was unsubstantiated, in theory the injectors shouldn't even be able to supply that BHP, but the std ECU does run the injectors at 100% DC when a airflow voltage of over 4-4.3V so max fuel is available, but I wouldn't expect max flow rate from a 15 year old fuel system.

I do wonder if an aging knock sensor has a part to play, as they do wear, and also pick up more engine noise on a worn or tuned engine, so it makes me wonder if some Supras are able to make more power because the knock sensor is not so sensitive and not pulling ignition timing at the top end, trouble is it also something unsubstantiated as I don't know of anyone who has been able to monitor the std ECU.

I am going back quite a few years when quoting not seeing any more than 400BHP form a BPU motor, even with a bigger FMIC, exhaust etc, I think there was once a claim of 420BHP but it was unsubstantiated, in theory the injectors shouldn't even be able to supply that BHP, but the std ECU does run the injectors at 100% DC when a airflow voltage of over 4-4.3V so max fuel is available, but I wouldn't expect max flow rate from a 15 year old fuel system.

I do wonder if an aging knock sensor has a part to play, as they do wear, and also pick up more engine noise on a worn or tuned engine, so it makes me wonder if some Supras are able to make more power because the knock sensor is not so sensitive and not pulling ignition timing at the top end, trouble is it also something unsubstantiated as I don't know of anyone who has been able to monitor the std ECU.

A lot of people recently have been making more that 400 at bpu. I haven't seen one as high as 450 but mine made 421 and safcdixon made 431 about 2 months ago.

I would doubt that Barometric Pressure and Air Temp are going to account for a 53BHP increase over any other dyno print out I have seen for a BPU Supra, and a 73BHP drive train loss is a little excessive to, TTC mode should not account for any increase in max power figure.

I didnt say it added 53bhp I am saying that incorrect values can affect the output calculation, as does strapping technique, tire pressure etc etc.

Many many years ago now, at 1.2 bpu on a 45Kkm engine with stock j-spec turbos mine first dynoed at 386hp. A few weeks later with brand new stock j-spec turbos fitted (the original 1st turbo went pop on the dyno!) in TTC at 1.2bar with the addition of an HKS EVC, HKS Type R FMIC, in256/ex264 cams in CW rebuilt head, 680cc injectors mapped with an eManage it made 429hp. If you consider a stock j-spec Supra at 0.8bar when new made something around 320hp, those sort of numbers IMO look about right for the increase in boost and modifications.

So by everyone's dyno graph bashing, Devil Developments dyno is wrong? Does that mean all of SRD's cars that have been run on that dyno have got less power than the graph suggests? All I see when Lee has one dyno'd on there is "Wow, good figures!" Nobody ever questions those figures from the SAME dyno, so why is Toms print out instantly brought into question?

The "maximum of 380bhp at BPU" argument is about as accurate as "J-Spec turbo's will explode if you go above 1.2 bar..."

So by everyone's dyno graph bashing, Devil Developments dyno is wrong? Does that mean all of SRD's cars that have been run on that dyno have got less power than the graph suggests? All I see when Lee has one dyno'd on there is "Wow, good figures!" Nobody ever questions those figures from the SAME dyno, so why is Toms print out instantly brought into question?

The "maximum of 380bhp at BPU" argument is about as accurate as "J-Spec turbo's will explode if you go above 1.2 bar..."

There are so many variables that I'm guessing most people would take dyno graph readings as pub talk. The most important thing is that the figure is decent and curve etc is good. It's like measuring a metre with your arms, everyone will measure it differently.

Good example of that is the hub dyno's. They claim to give you hub HP but they're MUCH closer to FWHP than some people realise. Loads of people overestimate their power, noone underestimates it?

For example, as I've said before, according to one dyno my car had just under 500hp. There's not a chance in hell that that's true. As for the 1.2bar thing, noone says they will explode but they certainly will degrade MUCH faster over that level at the top end.

The one thing I really don't agree with is the 100% duty thing, unless I don't understand duty. At 5krpm the fuel consumption is much lower than at 7krpm yet the AFR stays the same. If they were at 100% duty at 5krpm the fueling would be much richer than at 7krpm.

Just with the above, everyone has different opinions on what's going on. People don't like their chips being pissed on though,so that's just the way of the world. 400hp in the Sup is good for a 112mph et on the quarter mile..... good way of comparing power.