The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3rd gear crunch :( options????

johnd-mkiv

Dude at AFR once mentioned a company that he had used to rebuild a getrag box in the UK,but I have no idea who it was.

Would be worth asking traders like Whifbitz, SRD, JM Imports etc if they know anyone.

Unfortunately, there isn't going to be a cheap solution. :(

My V160 is on it's way to Jacks transmission in the states.

I have the same issue than you : 3rd gear scrunch when changing from 2nd to 3rd under boost and at higher revs.

I would defo look for a real good transmission shop to work on the Getrag.

been reading up on these only worring thing is sending it to America! whats the turn around time for yours?

Hi Guys this thread is quite alarming, mega bucks, much more expensive than exchange auto boxes and used boxes for mercedes cars etc.

What sort of mileage have you on the clock ? if it is less than 100k, then are you hammering the car ? I have a 5 speed box with 42k on the clock, and i change gears properly, BUT i have a vicious clutch which is grabby and must put unavoidable stress on the box which i did not have pre NA/T.

I was under the impression it is high torque which causes the most damage ?

Finally, what the hell do you do if the box returns from USA and the box does not operate properly, what is the guarante ?

Hi Guys this thread is quite alarming, mega bucks, much more expensive than exchange auto boxes and used boxes for mercedes cars etc.

What sort of mileage have you on the clock ? if it is less than 100k, then are you hammering the car ? I have a 5 speed box with 42k on the clock, and i change gears properly, BUT i have a vicious clutch which is grabby and must put unavoidable stress on the box which i did not have pre NA/T.

I was under the impression it is high torque which causes the most damage ?

Finally, what the hell do you do if the box returns from USA and the box does not operate properly, what is the guarante ?

Some good questions here. My personal situation is that my car has about 110k miles on it. I'm sure most people claim this, but I change gear very sympathetically. I've never drag-raced, and never done any kind of competitive driving, track days, or anything like that. The car has standard power and torque. It's all standard: clutch, cats, airbox, etc etc.

Looking back at some of my old threads on here, I was asking about a crunchy gear change in 2006! Then, I did more miles in the car and the issue goes away once the box is warm. Now, I do a very short commute so it's much more prominent. Whatever's causing it, I don't think it's got any worse in the 9+ years of my ownership.