The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new supra owner by default

Guest biggray

Guest biggray

Some of you on here may well frequent various FB forums for the supra in which case you'll probably all ready know how I've come to be registering on here.

Sadly my brother passed away in june after a short illness aged just 48 - he had his issues and demons but most of all he had a love of fast modded cars ( my passion is bikes). He left in his garage his sadly now forlorn supra. This was his pride and joy at one point in his life years ago but as the demons took hold so the upkeep of the car waned.

The vehicle itself has been stood for circa 4 years - I charged the battery up overnight and to my amazement it sprang into life on the second turn of the key ! ( jap reliability eh ;-) ) - what a noise !!! . It needs about £1500 - £2000 spending on it to make it roadworthy - 4 tyres on the 18 inch P&W wheels he put on, a new windscreen, several dints and dengs taking out and probably a full refresh on the paint front. The in car entertainment system is 2 1000w sub woofers with twin 400w amplifiers ! it's bloody earshattering !

I was thinking of selling and giving the proceeds to his kids but they'll be getting a few bob apiece from the estate once every is done and sorted so I'm potentially going to keep it and restore it back to pristine ! it's hardly a "town runabout" car and as my passion is 2 wheels I doubt I'd get much usage out of it - what are these things worth in pristine condition ? The vehicle is one of the first 1993 reg 3.0 twin turbo models I believe having covered just 89k miles in 22 years of life. What are parts like to get hold of ? should it need some for an MOT ?

Any replies / hints / help much appreciated as I'm not a "car nut"

Gray

First off welcome to the club, and very sorry for you loss.

To gauge a value on the car, you going to need to tell us a little more about it, UK or Jap model? and auto or manual?

If its a Twin turbo six speed manual, it could be worth 11k+ if returned to good condition and history dependant. Prices are on the up so a good model is hard to come by.

Guest biggray
Hi, first welcome and sorry for your loss, it's good that you've decided to get it to good condition again, seems a fitting tribute. Is it an import? And is it an automatic gearbox or a manual twin turbo?

Its a auto box - right hand drive - how would I know if it's an import ?

The vin is the easiest. but other ways too.

Is it stock if so, look for headlight washers, the hood scoop, cream leather, the reverse light not being on the end of the tail lights, bigger brakes, square brake res. these are UK spec parts.

Well there's a few tell tale signs on if it's a uk specification car. Read fog light switch for phone. Rear lights that look like this: image rather than: image

It'll have a leather interior unless it's aftermarket.

Headlight washers and bonnet scoop

There are quite a few other ways too but these are the easiest

Depending on condition it'll be worth up to 8k as an auto

Guest biggray

I'm at work at the moment so can't upload any pics - will do so tonight when I get in - alternatively here's the link to the fb post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToyotaSupraMk4/1206392476043267/?comment_id=1206858969329951&notif_t=group_comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206668469102933&set=pcb.1206392476043267&type=3&theater

if you scroll previous and next through the link above you'll see it !

Edited by biggray (see edit history)

Its an import, was registered here beginning of 2005. My app says its 201bhp ??

Any interior pictures and Engine pictures ?

Guest biggray
Its an import, was registered here beginning of 2005. My app says its 201bhp ??

Any interior pictures and Engine pictures ?

I haven't got any interior pics at the mo - it doesn't have a leather interior I know that - were the imports lower power ? my bro used to brag about his 300bhp ????

Guest biggray
Everything screams J-spec. And she is looking very tired. Few grand put back into it to return to stock and repaint should see you a half decent value.

when he got her she was mint !!! as I said above as the demons took hold the upkeep of her waned to the extent that you see today unfortunately.

Guest biggray
Just for anyone who wants to see:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]205747[/ATTACH]

It's a Jspec and looks like it needs quite a bit doing to it to get it up to scratch... I would budget quite a bit just for bodywork

thanks very much for putting the pics up ! - as I looked at her yesterday she needs a new windscreen ( been quoted £370 fitted) needs rubber on all four corners ( £350 / 400) - big dent pulled out n refresh paint ( £1000-£2000 ???? ) - then anything else for the MOT

thanks very much for putting the pics up ! - as I looked at her yesterday she needs a new windscreen ( been quoted £370 fitted) needs rubber on all four corners ( £350 / 400) - big dent pulled out n refresh paint ( £1000-£2000 ???? ) - then anything else for the MOT

I would probably also look into putting the body back to stock as the kit is looking a bit tired as well and take the decals off and stuff. Paint is going to be 2k minimum with the dent pulling out I should imagine. Budget around 500 for front bumper and OEM rear sticks and skirts/pods, headlights need polishing as well.

In terms of MOT. Just check the condition and for blowing exhaust etc and then do the tyres. Make sure all lights work, it'll need a rear fog if it hasn't got one fitted as well. Then check all the fluids.

Guest biggray

to keron that's pm'd me - I can't reply for some reason ? system says I can only use pm's for contacting mods ? do i need a certain post count before pm's are allowed ?

Guest biggray
Hi Gray :)

First of all, really sorry to hear about your brother.

I'm based in York, I'd be more than happy to come and have a look at the car for you to give you some pointers etc :)

that's a superb offer fella thankyou - I'm away on holiday next week - if you want to drop me a line to 07962 141 953 we'll get something arranged - kettle is always on :-)

Any service history with the car? I fear you will need to spend closer to £5K if not more to get this back into half decent shape.

Presumably the discs, pads, fluids, belts may all need replacing?

Might be better off selling it as is for someone else to fix up? Just thinking you are more into the 2 wheeled variety, and this isn't going to be an easy turnaround from what I can see.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully someone can get this looking right again. :)

Guest biggray
Any service history with the car? I fear you will need to spend closer to £5K if not more to get this back into half decent shape.

Presumably the discs, pads, fluids, belts may all need replacing?

Might be better off selling it as is for someone else to fix up? Just thinking you are more into the 2 wheeled variety, and this isn't going to be an easy turnaround from what I can see.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully someone can get this looking right again. :)

That's very true peter ! I've driven the car around the area where it's stored ( private road) and it brakes fine - cam belt is a definite obviously - fluids wise i can do most of that as i regularly service my race bikes.

that's a superb offer fella thankyou - I'm away on holiday next week - if you want to drop me a line to 07962 141 953 we'll get something arranged - kettle is always on :-)

Okay, I'll drop you a text later, then you can let me know what day is okay :)

This is why I love this forum and a proud supra owner :thumbs: