The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dazlas na-t supra first build

dazla100

so i have decided to take my mk4 2jz-ge pride and joy of the road for a few months and get to work on rebuilding and turbocharging the engine. by the time ive finsished i will be hopfully aiming for 400bhp with forged rods and pistons turbo manifold, turbo etc etc. so far have managed to take the engine out the bay which came out surprisingly easy now ready to strip the block apart replace any internals that need replacing get the cylinder head skimmed and honed replace all the valve stem seals and springs including all the gaskets.

been looking at changing the head gasket to a 2.0mm to lower compression ratio aswell as getting the whole engine cleaned up looking like new so far from going through all the posts on the forum i have gathered enough knowledge to give me the confidence to give it a go.

the engine currently stands at 87,000 miles and really one of the main reasons in doing this is so that i can get to grips with my engine aswell as producing more power its easy to turn around and say just buy a tt but to me personally anyone can do that id get more pleasure in building up my engine from scratch knowing that everything is at good quality and working order any advise or experience any one has had i would love to hear from you. :)

unnamed.jpg

supra 2.jpg

supra 3.jpg

supra 4.jpg

supra 5.jpg

Good luck with the build mate, hats off for giving NA-T a go yourself! There's all the small things that aren't mentioned too much but plenty people here to help.

One thing I'd suggest is going with an OEM NA Headgasket and getting yourself some TT pistons instead to drop the compression ratio. You've opened up the engine to rebuild it so would be the perfect opportunity to add the pistons. You can pick some up on here second hand for a little over £100 usually, but you may get lucky :)

A head gasket will do the same job and drop the compression ratio but it's viewed by the NA-T guys as the secondary way to do it. It will mess with the squish area whereas pistons keep it the same.

Both are methods you can use but just thought since you had the engine out and open you would benefit more with pistons :)

Good luck with the build mate, hats off for giving NA-T a go yourself! There's all the small things that aren't mentioned too much but plenty people here to help.

One thing I'd suggest is going with an OEM NA Headgasket and getting yourself some TT pistons instead to drop the compression ratio. You've opened up the engine to rebuild it so would be the perfect opportunity to add the pistons. You can pick some up on here second hand for a little over £100 usually, but you may get lucky :)

A head gasket will do the same job and drop the compression ratio but it's viewed by the NA-T guys as the secondary way to do it. It will mess with the squish area whereas pistons keep it the same.

Both are methods you can use but just thought since you had the engine out and open you would benefit more with pistons :)

Thanks for your support mate I've taken on board the advise you gave about the pistons and the pistons I've seen are cp pistons I've heard pretty good reviews about these and at a reasonable Price of £640 there not to bad for price.

Still undecided on rods tho eagle rods keep poping to mind but I'm not sure if these are of good quality dunno if you could recommend any?

As for the gasket Im unsure about getting a thicker one as the pistons compression ratio is 9.0.1 and I feel if I put a thicker 2mm head gasket on it would bring the compression ratio down even more I know the tt pistons run at 8.0.1 but picking up a decent 2jz gte pistons is proving impossible Hense why I shopped around and found cp pistons