The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Barn Find twin turbo

Rhincodon

Hi

I have been trying to help one of my sons find his first Supra (completely standard Uk car - will have to be Auto with his budget)

Keep missing great cars that sell in a day - last night £8995 owned for 12 years full history 100k miles went in 20 minutes

BUT - have been offered a genuine car - owned past 5 years - but been left at back of a humidified garage - not run since 2012 - apart from dust layer - looks very good- totally unmolested - original twin turbo etc

What are things to consider to get this running safely and within his budget pls folks?

I assume majority of pipes will have cracked and need replacing , brakes (seized?) fluids and engine - any advice help hugely appreciated

He has set heart on it and the seller has warmed to him and will deal at reasonable px - but would hate for him to not realise the potential cost and end up without a ride as he will be selling his car to fund this project

cheers

difficult to say 100% without seeing it but i wouldn't worry about the pipe work too much. New fluids and like you say check the brakes for binding. The sitting since 2012 isn't so much a problem as how it was treated before and it's overall condition now. I wouldn't expect that much more expense than any other old tt.

Jeez, it's only 3 years, I would fully expect to put a new battery in it, check the levels and tyre pressures and drive it anywhere. I bought a 1950's Wolseley that had sat 15 years and it fired up on the fuel in the tank and drove onto a trailer, and then when cleaned off to an MOT test, didn't even put fresh fuel in it until on the way to the MOT. Tyres still had some air in them, brakes worked quite well, clutrch wasn't stuck.

Just go back to basics same with any car.

make sure fuel is not off.

Fluids in engine ect are all ok

give a good check over the pips and rubbers in the engine bay, then check the brakes ect.

new battery

Fire the beast up run it up to temps and take it for a spin.

Then when its home do the usual maintenance change fluids ect get it mot and should be good. Things to look out for are on the main page as a downloadable PDF :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content.php?36-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

I bought my car after being abandoned for 7 years. Engine fired up with a new battery and some fuel (bypassed the fuel tank in case of stale fuel). However I knew my car had an issue, blown transmission. It still drove onto the tow truck!

At the end of the day it's a Toyota, a very strong Toyota at that. Brakes should be fine. Check the small rubber hoses, change all fluids, pull out the fuel pump to inspect inside the tank (clean and re-coat if necessary) and you will be fine!

I'd crank it over by hand first to get the oil circulated. Everything will be bone dry, metal on metal is never good, besides, you'll know if it's not seized.

I usually pull the EFI fuses after the car has sat over winter and crank the engine over off the starter for this reason :)

Apart from the battery and the tyres, the rest depends on the atmospheric conditions in the barn in the winter months IMHO, cold metal, leather, plastic, etc, if they fall below the "dew-point" in winter ( the lowest temp where the moisture releases from the air), and ventilation is not available, then storage is not a good thing at all.

However if the car was prepared for the storage, eg: waxoil, oil in cylinders, jacked up off the ground, battery removed, windows, boot and hood opened, then that could be different, but if just put in the barn and left, then not good, there could be many hidden issues, it's not rocket science.

OK Guys - the car started first time with new fuel on a jump start - i have pictures which show soem corrosion - underneath apparently is sound - i am going to see it this week - the owner - lovely chap in his 70's wants to know what I am willing to pay first - lets asumethis needs a respray and some proper TLC to get it back to scratch so that I can trust it to carry my youngest son about safely. On his limited budget of £9k once finished.

So big question please - what should I pay for this car ??

I have a PDF file with loads of pictures - but cant upload that file here - can email or if anyone can tell me how to make it uploadable to this site

Thx in advance

Jeez, it's only 3 years, I would fully expect to put a new battery in it, check the levels and tyre pressures and drive it anywhere. I bought a 1950's Wolseley that had sat 15 years and it fired up on the fuel in the tank and drove onto a trailer, and then when cleaned off to an MOT test, didn't even put fresh fuel in it until on the way to the MOT. Tyres still had some air in them, brakes worked quite well, clutrch wasn't stuck.

i agree mines been off the road for three years and runs perfectly