The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Leather seat covers - inovations?

herbiemercman

Hi Everyone, I want some black leather seats for the front of my car with the red inserts and the supra logo in white. I have contacted the company in the USA and asked for a quote as all their prices are for front and rear.

Some one posted on this subject and said the quality was good and was well pleased with them, he also i think was suggesting a bulk buy discount may be possible through the club? but this seemed to just melt away? I s it because the company are not registered with the club? If this is the case then i am not really understanding the club rules and how the rules serve the members who support the club, if some one posts that they have seen a good deal on e-bay etc, then this benefits the members and is really a lot of what the club is? or should be about?

Can some one tell me the rules as i am not clear on where they draw the line on recommendations, against sort of advertising for a company they have just aquired a good deal from for the benefit of all members.

I think maybe you should read the rules may help ;)

If a group buy will benefit the club members I cant imagine a Mod ever turning it down. But a group buy has to be put to the moderator team first, they discuss, and then if given the OK the member who enquired about organising it, will be ok to do so. Also you have to take into account if a paying Trader is offering the same service, they wont allow some random from ebay to come and steal business from an Authorised Trader.

The thread kicking about on here, was a post from the company stating prices, and as far as I'm aware no official go-ahead was given, and if it was, no appropriate thread has been submitted after the 'gauging interest posts' to my knowledge.

As above. A group buy could easily be on the cards but the option has to be given to traders first to match the offer etc or raise any concerns they have. From there the mods will discuss the idea and, I guess, put it to a vote.

It may be in the background :)

Hi ripped-fear & scott, Yes i am happy with that situation you outlined. Do any of the registered traders have the leather seat covers?

Was the member who posted on the seat covers he had purchased within the rules? or is it just the "group purchase" which is different and requires mods approval, and i can now understand this.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Its not always to do with the fact other traders on here may offer the same product, its also the fact traders on here pay good money to be an authorised trader, so if theres a company making money on group buys within the club but aren't paying their way, its a bit unfair to the other traders who do

Hi berg, I agree entirely, but if the traders have a good cv / reputation, and i am not suggesting that the ones on our club are anything but good, then they would do good business from recommendations, just like all our restaurants, garages, clubs, parts suppliers etc, if you pay out for your status, then this has to be paid for by customers.

I have just asked who in the approved traders has leather seat covers? no answers. ! ! ! And if they import them, then they have to take their cut and be more expensive than the OEM. They have a choice IMHO to rely on their reputation, or to advertise and be a registered club supplier, it's a free market place, and i am not putting one before another, i am just saying there is more than one way of selling things.

Hi berg, I have made my money, but if i wanted to make more i would invest in the seat covers, just like the headlights, i would commision a moulding tool to manufacture the crystal styrene lenses, they would go like hot cakes as most people do not want the hastle of refurbing, and it can never be as good as new lenses, not sure why no one has done this? Glass is expensive and quite heavy and most members IMHO do not look 20 years ahead for them not yellowing, ask Toyota why they stopped the glass ? lol.

This club, IMHO would lose credability if it stopped members posting what good deals they have found, like the leather seat covers, and , if the company selling them, think they would enhance their sales from becoming an authorised club trader, then, fine. What would badly wound this club is for members not being FREE to tell all members what gems they have found.

The company signed up to the forum and then offered a deal without being a paid Trader which is against the Trading rules.

If however a member approaches a company asking for a group discount, which the company agrees to, then that member will PM a moderator with all the details. Then, we as moderators will open it up to the Traders on the forum to see if any of them can match the deal. If they can, then that Trader will offer the Group Buy themselves. If not, then the original Group Buy suggestion will be given the go ahead.

That's it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps.

P1040080.JPG (157.5 KB) P1040082.JPG (156.5 KB)

Hi Dudes, Just ordered my pre facelift front seat covers, ten days for delivery and yes you have to pay an import duty, so i am looking at 480 dollars.

I also studied the fitting procedure and it is time consuming and very fiddly IMHO, but worth it, a job to do inside my garage with the beast in the driveway without any seats, keeping me out of the rain.

P1040080.JPG

P1040082.JPG

P1040080.JPG (157.5 KB) P1040082.JPG (156.5 KB)

Hi Dudes, Just ordered my pre facelift front seat covers, ten days for delivery and yes you have to pay an import duty, so i am looking at 480 dollars.

I also studied the fitting procedure and it is time consuming and very fiddly IMHO, but worth it, a job to do inside my garage with the beast in the driveway without any seats, keeping me out of the rain.

good luck with your seats.. i dont new if your bourgt the real genuine leather or their synthetic leather.. but their genuine leather are really strong to work with... the headrest is probely your biggest problem to get on.. but good luck..

Hi jza800, Yes they are real leather, would not consider anything else, and i want to thank you for your posting which put me onto this.

Did you use cable ties instead of the hog rings and do you have any thing i should look out for? as it looks a difficult job.

yes use cable ties that works really good for me.. it is a little difficult job.. but take one thing at the time, and take your time.. then it is stragt forward.. have you looked on this guide?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?746194

Thanks evinX, Looking forward to them, but not the work involved in fitting them.

The link jza800 kindly posted was excellent, it was amazing to see the rusty worn out leather seats the guy in the USA was working on, his car must be well rusty, i have no rust anywhere on my car, certainly not the seat frames.

• 2 weeks later...

Not real is it, i asked about the delivery date which was 10 days, and now it is 12 days, they said they have run out of black leather ! !

Not started proceedings yet with pay-pal etc but you can see that ordering stuff from non-approved suppliers is a risk, i just hope this does not go "all the way", my son in law is a top lawyer in LA, but hope it does not come to this. ?

Other members backed up the authenticity of this supplier, hope they were right or just lucky when they ordered ? herbiemercman.

evinX and walkerstrider, Manny thanks for reply and reassurance, i think you are right, it's just that one can get paranoid in these days of so much fraud going on, it's made it difficult to trust people.

One lady from the UK this week lost £75K on a bank transfer where the fraudster just changed one digit in the e-mail account address, the lady checked everything and just missed the suckle alteration. She lost the lot, the siber crime police told her that the perpatrators will have set up three different bank accounts and within 48 hours, the money withdrawn, and then they just vanish. Internet fraud is up by 30%. There won't be much fuss if my seat covers go tits up. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting new seat covers properly is a time-consuming process. More often than not, mail order suppliers take no account for things like wear or damage to bolsters and suchlike, which can sometimes lead to the new covers looking a little less spectacular once fitted than the buyer would like.

They tend to require a fair amount of manipulation during the fitting process so that they sit correctly in all the places they're supposed to. The more time you take at this stage will pay dividends at the end as the finished look will be so much better. :)

I realise I'm a little late to this thread, but I thought it worthwhile adding my thoughts so the OP has them to hand when his covers arrive.

Definitely take your time with it, make it a weekend project. I used cable ties instead of hog tie rings and they are still holding well. After a week youll notice the covers tighten up to all the contours and creases disappear. I also just ordered some door card covers of them due for delivery soon :cool:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?959258-Group-Buy-2