The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Little build thread

Rywalls

Hi all, I've had the supra a year now so I thought it's about time I started a little build thread, granted it won't be much compared to half of the big builds going on in this forum but it's a start and a long term project.

First of all its a j-spec 1999 RZ-S VVTI was tiptronic now 6speed courtesy of northeast motorwerx

Bought it off Jurgen at JM-Imports last September with 89,000 km on the clock totally unmodified apart from the radiator cap.

After about a month of owning the car, getting closer to winter it decided it didn't want to blow any hot air in the cabin anymore. So I replaced the radiator, rad hoses, thermostat, water pump and the heater matrix so now i have the choice of either cold or luke warm air.

First mods were tein s tech lowering springs, spacers to push the stock wheels out abit, and a Whifbitz 3" double decat to whifbitz 4" catback with 1 bar RR.

More recently it's had a V161 conversion, metal monkey dials, leather Recaro speeds with custom low mount rails, blitz air intake, hks ssqv4 bov, ngk iridium spark plugs, walbro 255 fuel pump, greddy profec b new style boost controller, front upper strut brace, 6000k HIDS, viper alarm and immobiliser with remote start and last but not least Rota GTR's in gunmetal grey unfortunately they don't do them in hyper black!

Now I have the following waiting to be fitted: Chris Wilson FCD, BC BR coilovers, front brake seal kit (shims to be removed from all four corners) and HEL braided brake hoses, full active front spoiler set up with manual override switch, wheels to be painted hyper black (if I can find out either the paint code or the procedure) and calipers to be painted liquid yellow.

The arches are being rolled soon, as the 9.5j et30 rota's like to occasionally scrub on the back arches and to allow for more clearance for when the coilovers are fitted.

During the conversion we ran into a few problems, first of all the loom running to the autobox was a 2 pin, the attachment point on the 6spd box was a 3 pin, so the car is still running with no speedo until I can find out which wire is the speedo signal and wire it from the box to the clocks. Secondly it had an intermittent 6k Rev limit, ended up doing some research and cutting the old park/neutral switch wire from the ecu. Problem solved. However now eml light is always on so that also needs to be sorted. But I am looking for an aftermarket ecu that is compatible with VVTI.

So.. There it is so far, still a few issues and a few mods to sort out hopefully it will be tip top for next summer quite possibly a FMIC, cams and a decent sound system before then too! See how the power goes then eventually maybe a big single or big twins who knows??

Here's a few pictures of when I first bought the car, during the conversion and the end result so far, thanks for looking!

Looking good mate :)

Cheers Matt [emoji106]

Always liked a Quicksilver Supra. What did you end up doing with the stock wheels?

After replacing the wheels for some reason I couldn't let myself part with them just yet. Eventually I'll be after some bbs lm's as a second set so I'll probably sell the stock wheels to help fund that.

Iirc it's Quicksilver, not gunmetal. :)

It's a lovely car :cool:

Cheers mate [emoji4]

Why does your heater not work after changing so much of the system? That would drive me crackers

It did drive me crackers, but I just gave up in the end after endless flushes and rad bleeds! What drove me even more insane was the strip of condensation running up passenger side of the windscreen it wouldn't budge for no one. Hasn't bothered me over the summer obviously but winter is round the corner again now

Have a look at this if the heater system isn't working. Could be a simple fix.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?49871-Heater-Maximum-Output-Temperature-Too-Low/page2

Cheers for that JayJay you're a life saver. If that's the fault I'm going to be overwhelmed but distraught at the same time haha

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update, in the last few month there has been abit of work carried out...

We realised that someone had cut down the stock wheel studs and done a gash job if it and we couldn't get the correct torque on some the nuts so we replaced the studs on all 4 corners with some longer aftermarket ones.

Next up all four calipers came to pieces and replaced all the o rings and seals in them, removing the shims before we reinstalled the calipers plus adding some HEL braided hoses and some endless pads.

Full front active spoiler set up was fitted with the manual override switch, fuel cut defender was wired in, BCBR coilovers are on and all four arches were rolled for better clearance, no problems at all even with the car sitting quite low on the coilovers.

As it stands I have the following waiting to go on:

Mvp twin fan conversion

Hks air filter and new intake pipes

Air filter heat shied

Fuel lab fuel pressure regulator and titan fuel pressure gauge

Still need to wire up speedo and sort out the engine light for the park/neutral safety switch from the 6 speed conversion.

The stock clutch has started to slip too so I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal in the for sale section!

As it stands the car is running very rich and making 384bhp on the dyno. I'm going to fit the bov recirc kit and see if that helps the fuelling a little bit hopefully get abit more power back.

Future mods this year are:

Uprated cutch and flywheel

Wideband o2 sensor and afr gauge

Drilled and grooved discs

Front and rear crank seals

New oil pump

4" fmic

264 cams

Hks cam gears and fine tune belt

Aux pulleys

Carbon cooling plate

Shine auto carbon rear diffuser

Oil cooler kit

And hopefully get rid of the crap jap headunit and speakers and get some decent stuff in there!

Anyway thanks for looking and I apologise for the lack of photos but here are just a couple...