The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help buying supra

Adam2jzzz

not interested in owning an auto to be honest....

Spoken by someone who hasn't even tried the auto! I used to be the same untill I got my first supra, loved the box! My current one was auto and I converted to 6 speed, biggest mistake I've done TBH! The auto is a far better box to drive IMHO.

Good luck on your search though, some nice examples available at the moment on here!

not interested in owning an auto to be honest . id say the budget is around 12k

£12k should get you a TT6, but it's probably not enough for a fresh import these days.

The VVTi models are superior. Not only is the engine more torquey and more economical, but the gear ratios were further optimized in the vvti manual cars (they use the V161 transmission as opposed to the earlier v160), making them a better drive.

There was a bit of cost cutting/weight reduction done to the facelift cars, but as has been mentioned they are better looking, and the dashboard is a much nicer design.

£12k should get you a TT6, but it's probably not enough for a fresh import these days.

The VVTi models are superior. Not only is the engine more torquey and more economical, but the gear ratios were further optimized in the vvti manual cars (they use the V161 transmission as opposed to the earlier v160), making them a better drive.

There was a bit of cost cutting/weight reduction done to the facelift cars, but as has been mentioned they are better looking, and the dashboard is a much nicer design.

Agreed, I loved my facelift more than my pre-facelift car. £12k won't get you a manual VVTi unless it has a lot of miles on it.

Well mine was £14k for a 1997 RSP VVTi, TT6 with about 84,500 miles (was converted to miles on arrival to uk). That price was all in, from Japan to on the road in the uk. Was a grade 3.5 at auction, but lovely condition [emoji3] it was imported via Torque GT in April/May this year.

Edited by CraigMoSupraRSP (see edit history)

Personal preference mate as others have said.

Autos are generally cheaper than manuals so may be worth having a drive in one as the money you save going auto could land you a lower mileage car if thats important to you.

Performance difference between a pre-facelift non-vvti and a facelift vvti is minimal.

A 95 RZ model was the better spec of the pre-facelifts i believe.

As there are few UK cars alive these days, a lot of Supras you'll see will be Jap Imports. However since Fast & Furious 7 the prices in Japan have gone up quite a bit meaning a decent fresh import is going to cost a lot.

You'll probably have more joy looking for one thats already over here, though I can recommend Jurgen @ JM Imports on these forums.

Good luck with the search.

There seems to be a lot to take in on the buyers guide . Can people tell me what is the best one to get . I'm after a tt manual

let me see if I understand - members have taken the time and put in the effort and created a buyers guide but you are too lazy to go through it......

Agreed, I loved my facelift more than my pre-facelift car. £12k won't get you a manual VVTi unless it has a lot of miles on it.

It showed when were doing pulls on the motorway in Holland where you had that little bit more in every gear and just edged away.