The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter/Cold Weather Tyre Recomendations

Mike2JZ

Hiya,

I'm currently running the following:

Falken 452's 235/40/18 on the front

Federal RSR's 265/35/18 on the front

My front tyres are in need of a change, and I'd rather not be using the RSR's in the upcoming winter weather, as they are lively enough in the wet, let alone the cold as well. So time for a new set of tyres all the way round.

English winters aren't that harsh by any means, so I don't think investing in full on winter tyres is the way forward, but I'm looking for some tyres that aren't going to react too negatively to a bit of wet + cold.

Has anyone got any recommendations, given that this is a daily driven car.

Thanks!

I'd highly recommend the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, fantastic all weather tyres. I have used mine in cold & wet temperates before and they were superb.

Not driven on icy or snowy roads though but as you say, we do not get real harsh winters here.

I'd highly recommend the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,

:yeahthat:

Really impressed with my Vreds. Did a huge road trip during the summer around Europe, which included time at the Nurburgring, driving long distances, very hot conditions, cold conditions and torrential rain and standing water. They took it all in their stride.

The only chink in their armor is the asymmetric design, which looks a little odd. Must be my OCD :D

I like the vred's too. below I think 8 degrees C true winter tyres are better as all normal tyres harden below this. The trouble is most mornings soon will be chilly with the day's moving above double figures so somewhere between both ideals.

I have winter wheels/tyres for my volvo and will put them on soon as it's no sports car and winter tyres in the warm aren't dangerous just lower in outright grip. I have some for the supra this year that I picked up cheap on eBay but not a lot of use to you yet! I do know that they make a big difference in sub zero temps and are amazing in snow.

There is no true alround tyre, so without two sets of wheels in a car like the supra the vred's (rain sports?) etc are the way to go really, if you had a RAV4 second car then perhaps winters all year round...