The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na/t. Forget the mpg,got it back today.

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, Got my car back and it is awesome, it's not too loud but pulls like a big electric motor, 5 th gear at 80mph and with not much accelerator it pulls in seconds up to the 130,s, on the Autobahn of cource, lol.

The quality of the components is superb, and some are bespoke due to me wanting my stock rear box, good solid exhaust burble but not silly noisy.

these cars are so low down and aerodynamic and with circa 400 bhp it is a mega drive, also i can drive it like it was pre NA/T, which was my spec for the MAP, another item which had much time spent getting it just right.

I have not floored it just yet because it is fantastic just gently putting the boot down and i want to get used to this level of power, it pushes out of corners like nothing i have experienced before, i wont be trying much in the wet.lol.

I chose the pillar mounted gauges for oil temp and boost and they look great.

The only things i do not like are the stage 4 clutch, it is a bitch, it is either in or out, sort of judders, sick in traffic jams etc, but it may bed in and it may be par for the cource if you want this level of performance. The other thing is the MPG but early days for me to judge this as i have been going quick and my car pre NA/T only returned 20 mpg, who cares.

I appreciate there will be some members out there who have lived this dream and with even more BHP, but "your world is your oyster" and i am made up.

Can't say who did the conversion, top secret, but it is a credit to him and his operation. herbiemercman. PS: pics to follow..

Edited by herbiemercman
added extra text. (see edit history)

Supra and mpg should not even be mentioned in the same sentance, its smiles per gallon

Also with the clutch, as turtles head mentioned it probably wont improve, i have stage 3 which is still solid face disc and its either on or off, tricky in traffic etc

They dont like to be held on the bite point so will judder in traffic, let the car in front get ahead a little and then move forward, the quicker you let the pedal out the smoother you move off, but you need space, and revs of course.

My clutch is the same, you'll get used to it eventually. :)

I would say differently. You'll get fed up with it quickly, and want a more road orientated clutch fitted. Plus, an aggressively engaging clutch, as I have mentioned in many NA/T threads, is exactly what you DO NOT want, as it puts severe shock loads through an already grossly overloaded gearbox. When you get fed up with it fit something much smoother and more civilised!

I would say differently. You'll get fed up with it quickly, and want a more road orientated clutch fitted. Plus, an aggressively engaging clutch, as I have mentioned in many NA/T threads, is exactly what you DO NOT want, as it puts severe shock loads through an already grossly overloaded gearbox. When you get fed up with it fit something much smoother and more civilised!

Stage 2 would be better?

Something on the limit of its torque handling with an organic lined, sprung centre driven plate. Not sure what's out there, but the US is awash with similar clutches for big V8's, and someone may have modded or made available a suitable flywheel for such a plate and cover. It's not rocket science. You are looking at building a push type TT six speed clutch, with a sprung centre, rather than a damped flywheel. I thought all that Stage I, Stage II stuff went out in the seventies, it's all meaningless marketing twaddle.

Got my grandsons videoing the rocket ship up to Houghton Towers, it's a good road, quite quiet most of the time with some banked up bends and two half mile straights, when i give my car the bifters in second gear it sounds like the rear tyres are spinning, but i know it is the turbo spooling and cavitating, sounds great, the power out of bends is some thing i never had before, you would think that the pre NA/T 220 bhp would be impressive, but there is no comparison at 400 bhp, i am not a front wheel drive man and a rear wheel beast with LSD is great, especially with some real power.

Yes the clutch is hard work, but i have soon developed a driving strategy which is very close to what a member on here has recommended, when the clutch is cold it is just like the stock clutch, but when hot you have to start the strategy. I find it hard to see how you can design a clutch that is soft and smooth like the stock clutch and can take double the torque? If there is such a thing, then the NA/T experts as far as i know, do not know about it, otherwise all the post NA/T guys would not be rubbishing there agressive clutches? I was told this is par for the cource. If i do get to a point where the clutch is unacceptable i will contact Chris and i will replace the clutch.

However i love the quality and performance of this build, it is fantastic for some one like me who for 16 years never thought a NA could be totally transformed, bit like the "ugly duckling story".

Will post some pics soon. Herbiemercman.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)