The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hair line crack on HKS T04Z Turbo Housing what to do?

Brazil

Sorry to hear this buddy.

When I bought and sold this kit, it came with a turbo jacket and was heat wrapped on the manifold (although was mostly worn away).

I never used the kit myself, and it was bought and sold as an assembly.

Fingers crossed it can be easily sorted.

Please use the search engine, inputting my name and either "high nickel content" or "ni-resist" and all should become clear. Garrett is your friend, they cater for in extremis use of turbine housings in their product range. HKS, Apexi and others do not. Caveat emptor.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Garrett do two ranges of turbine housing, normal cast iron, for diesels and low EGT (fairly standard) piston engines, and high nickel content cast iron, which they call Ni-Resist, for performance and modified petrol engines, have a look at their catalogue:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/productcatalog

Some high end turbo manufacturers now use a cast stainless steel alloy for the turbine housings and external wastegates.

Very modern technology casts the exhaust manifold and turbine housing as a single unit. As far as I know these are all in high nickel content alloys.

The anti shaling and anti cracking properties of these high nickel content alloys V grey cast iron are as chalk and cheese.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Hi j-jza80, Yep it is like everything else, you get what you pay for, but there is also the thing we used in engineering when we did "cost benefit analysis" ,CBA, and we also carried out FFP ,fit for purpose, i think my aquisition is FFP, if i only get 2 years out of it, i am happy, we also carried out FMEA's failure mode and effect analysis, where you look at the gravity of failure, safety being top of the scale, cost was at the lower levels.

Some one once told me that many British cars in scrap yards had some expensive components which would last 50 years and most of their cars were in the scrap yards after only 8 years, they went bust.

I only cover circa 1,500 miles / yr in my mk4 toy, so i think my turbo will be ok for my requirements. There are also many members who have good things to report about the cheaper turbos they are running.

It's not just longevity, performance is in a completely different league. A cheap turbo may spool up 2000rpm further up the Rev range for the same power, which makes a hell of a difference to the way the car drives.

Also, the cheap turbos are very generic. I could order a Garrett turbo now, and specify the size of the compressor and turbine wheels/housings to suit my requirements perfectly. This is not possible with the cheaper turbos.