The mkiv Supra Owners Club

K Sport or D2 breaks

Supraleeturbo

After having a fab time on dragonball there was one thing that let it down and it was my breaks, so im now on the look out for a front set up.

now iv been looking at the 356mm 6 pot d2 pads for £1149 but iv now seen the ksports with 356mm but 8 pot with k.soprt street pads for £1080

so why is the 8 pot ksports cheaper then the 6 pot d2? arnt they the same breaks ??

any help would be great and please try keep on topic please

8 pot K sport calipers aren't the same as 6 pot D2. Bignum mentioned recently that there have been pad issues with the Ksport calipers, which I would look into before considering.

Personally, I would only look at stock big brakes, or the likes of Alcon, AP or Brembo if your budget can stretch to it.

I know Rob ran the K-sports and liked then, and hes putting them on his new build.

One thing mate, have you looked into the Brembo conversions on the Brembo FB conversion group. They offer a great deal for a bolt on kit, and not a huge price difference considering the value for money.

This is the group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brembos.SRT8.Conversions/?fref=ts

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I know Rob ran the K-sports and liked then, and hes putting them on his new build.

One thing mate, have you looked into the Brembo conversions on the Brembo FB conversion group. They offer a great deal for a bolt on kit, and not a huge price difference considering the value for money.

This is the group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brembos.SRT8.Conversions/?fref=ts

not on facebook mate so cant see that link how much are the brembos, steve m and few others run ksport

Do they actually work well though? I'm yet to see anyone test them against other brake setups. Most people are purely buying these as a fashion statement imo.

Fantastic brakes are ksport but hard to give a decent comparison as I only tried these and UK spec. I love them though and can't rate them enough, great value for money

Did you have the 8 pots ? I just can't see why the ksport 8 pots are cheaper then the 6 pot d2 ? I would like to use the ebc yellow stuff as Steve m and few others rate that pad.

Upon some further investigation, it appears that these SRT Brembo conversions are also made for the 300ZX, using the same calipers.

To me, this suggests one of two things. Either the Supra and 300zx require the same brake balance (very unlikely), or no consideration has been given to brake bias. If the latter is the case, not only might they be ineffective, but potentially dangerous too.

Stock big brakes, or the likes of Alcon, AP or Brembo

You know the Supra also featured a four-sensor four-channel track tuned ABS system with yaw control whereby each calliper is sensored and the brakes are controlled individually according to the speed, angle, and pitch of the approaching corner. This unique Formula One-inspired braking system allowed the Supra Turbo to record a 70 mph (113 km/h) -0 braking distance of 149 ft (45 m),[22] the best braking performance of any production car tested in 1997 by Car and Driver magazine. This record was finally broken in 2004 by a Porsche Carrera GT, which does it in 145 ft (44 m) .

Stock Brakes are not too bad from little old Toyota :)

After market brake kits wont stop you any quicker , 4 pot OEM & 2 pot rears are as good as its gets; then the coefficient of friction takes over, the big brake kits are only for track cars, longitivtiy of the brakes increases before brake fade

4 pot OEM & 2 pot rears and a decent set of tyres; its amazing how many people skimp on tyres and are willing to pay out $$$ for brakes, but yet retain the budget tyres

I would try a decent set of tyres first, if you do not have any on

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Did you have the 8 pots ? I just can't see why the ksport 8 pots are cheaper then the 6 pot d2 ? I would like to use the ebc yellow stuff as Steve m and few others rate that pad.

Yeah I had yellow stuff pads too. I had mega monster 8pots on the gold rush 380mm disc.

I have gone 356mm all around this time 8pot front, 4 pot rear

Stock big brakes, or the likes of Alcon, AP or Brembo

You know the Supra also featured a four-sensor four-channel track tuned ABS system with yaw control whereby each calliper is sensored and the brakes are controlled individually according to the speed, angle, and pitch of the approaching corner. This unique Formula One-inspired braking system allowed the Supra Turbo to record a 70 mph (113 km/h) -0 braking distance of 149 ft (45 m),[22] the best braking performance of any production car tested in 1997 by Car and Driver magazine. This record was finally broken in 2004 by a Porsche Carrera GT, which does it in 145 ft (44 m) .

Stock Brakes are not too bad from little old Toyota :)

After market brake kits wont stop you any quicker , 4 pot OEM & 2 pot rears are as good as its gets; then the coefficient of friction takes over, the big brake kits are only for track cars, longitivtiy of the brakes increases before brake fade

4 pot OEM & 2 pot rears and a decent set of tyres; its amazing how many people skimp on tyres and are willing to pay out $$$ for brakes, but yet retain the budget tyres

I would try a decent set of tyres first, if you do not have any on

i have mitchelin tyres all round mate so what pad and disc would you say then as my stock toyota disc and pad are crap with 600 bhp ???

I wouldn't go near anything that's not been designed with the Supra in mind. Brake balance, calliper, disc, cooling, etc.

The UK brake setup on the supra was the best production car set up for many years.

Get new discs, fully refurbed calipers, stock discs and some good pads off CW, with some

Motul Race 660 and braided lines.

You'll be tyre limited rather than brake limited on your retardation then. Get some Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 as well o

furthrr improve things.

Please think why you are believing six pot calipers are better then 4 pot, and why eight pot are better than six pot. Once you understand the marketing hype versus sound engineering then you can save a lot of money.

But surely if you got more Pistons pushing the pad the better the friction so better stopping ?

I considered brembos later next year the price from the fb group was 2500 for fronts and rears. I may go k sport though as there half the price and look good too :) but it's only a fashion statement as I like the look of them.

Link please for Brembo :)?

I've had cw pads and all the did was sqweel, a mate of mine has uk set up with porter fields and he was saying he was getting the break fade as well

Get some braided lines, some good quality brake fluid (I can highly recommend Motul 660 Race Fluid), and if you're still getting fade, you'll need to look at some brake cooling as well.

Link please for Brembo :)?

'Brembo SRT8 Conversions' is the page name on FB, think it's a closed group so you just have to join and then they have all the info needed for the conversion.

They look great to me but as previously mentioned they seem to be a universal kit for various cars with regards to brake bias and performance. I'm going to give my UK's a good going over with some of the parts mentioned for now :)