The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra cut out and wont start

tkddav3

was on the way back from a meet last night when about half an hour from home the engine started to drop revs, rev counter was going mad as if it was trying to find revs but couldnt, speed dropped and managed to get onto the hard shoulder then it cut out, kept cranking but wouldnt fire. eventualy fired but ran like crap for a few moments then dies. disconnected the toucan and it ran better but crap still then died. kept trying but eventually battery died on me so had to get recovered after 2 and a half hours of waiting at 3 in the morning :(

anyone have any ideas? i thought its either fuel related or something to do with the syvecs. trying to pull the logs but its not happening as i guessing my software is out of date and the syvecs page is down... not my day

Yeah I can hear the fuel pump when I switch on ignition. Actually the car is now going which had surprised me, I was gunna pull the plugs so took the cover off and took of one set of cool packs but quickly thought I'll turn it over first to see if it's gunna soak the plug and it just fired up.

I tried earlier and it didn't want too, really confusing me, the car has been sat doing nothing for the last few months though with the occasion start. Still don't want this to happen again so I'm taking it to the garage. And dean I don't think so mate, don't have the sensor

Doesn't sound happy at all...... Have you tried checking how it's running (misfits etc) or is there nobody about to help?

Nobody around atm mate. But I'll ring up the place I use tomorrow and get it booked in! Unless you fancy coming round and helping mate ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't you NA-T mate? If you are it won't be the timing star as there isn't one there on the NA's

Have you done a coil pack conversion? Or you still on the distributor? Check to see if you're getting spark from all cylinders?

Yes mate I am indeed, I'm running coil packs yeah, oh really? Well that rules that out then! I'll pull the plugs and coils tomorrow

if you have done the coil pack conversion , dont that mean you have the TT oil pump and timing star ?

any who you would be abl;e to tell by plugging in the ecu and see what the timing is doing

I did try and plug it in the laptop but it confused me to hell and couldn't get it too work, it's going in next week to get looked at though!

I would suspect lack of fuel pressure, can the Syvecs show fuel pressure in real time (ie, have you got a fuel pressure sensor fitted and wired up?). Not an Ebay fake pump is it?

That was another thought of mine, if the engine was getting enough fuel, not an eBay pump mate no, rob mentioned it might be the timing star?