The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed, engine swap & value

Kendo11

Need some good advice please guys.

I currently own an NA 5spd manual, the intention has been to do it up, get it to a good standard & sell it in about 2 years time so it can fund me going abroad. Obviously values on these are going up, so I'm hoping if I can look after it I should get a good return.

However, I've always been a muscle car fan, and a local car friend has offered me a 1uzfe with the auto box & ecu for £300.

If I fit that, would it significantly decrease the value of my car, and would selling the w58 & ge engine (under 100,000) miles offset that loss? Could I expect some more costs with the swap & so on?

Thanks.

Of couse it will. To some sad collector 20 years on, who wants matching vins/ numbers it wont be worth nil. At the moment. Vinyl wrapped dash/ body...rear seat delete and holes drilled into the rear arches...yours isnt worth much to be fair. To the known (me) id be offering £800 max and no more.

I've never understood this one. Why do guys want to put the 1UZFE into the Supra?

I own three very similar Soarers, one with the 1JZGTE VVTI engine, one with the 2JZGE engine and one with the 1UZFE engine. I keep the 1UZFE because it's #821 of only 872 ever made with the fully active suspension but TBH for performance it's beaten by the 2JZGE which is lighter and has a much better throttle response. The 1JZGTE VVTI is in a totally different league.

The 1UZFE is so damn expensive to upgrade and parts are much more difficult to get so for me sticking with the existing 2JZGE would be a no brainer.

:blink:

The all alloy 1UZ is much lighter than the cast iron 2JZ. It is also more powerful. And upgrading isn't that bad, the early 1UZ's have strong rods, and as Ryan G proved the stock manifolds can be easily converted to take turbo flanges. They are also much cheaper to supercharge.

But out of the box, the 1UZ is more about refinement and reliability over responsiveness.

I've never understood this one. Why do guys want to put the 1UZFE into the Supra?

I own three very similar Soarers, one with the 1JZGTE VVTI engine, one with the 2JZGE engine and one with the 1UZFE engine. I keep the 1UZFE because it's #821 of only 872 ever made with the fully active suspension but TBH for performance it's beaten by the 2JZGE which is lighter and has a much better throttle response. The 1JZGTE VVTI is in a totally different league.

The 1UZFE is so damn expensive to upgrade and parts are much more difficult to get so for me sticking with the existing 2JZGE would be a no brainer.

1jz might be the more sensible option if a swap is on the cards at some point.

Of couse it will. To some sad collector 20 years on, who wants matching vins/ numbers it wont be worth nil. At the moment. Vinyl wrapped dash/ body...rear seat delete and holes drilled into the rear arches...yours isnt worth much to be fair. To the known (me) id be offering £800 max and no more.

£800...

Excellent trolling. 10/10.

The fitting of the various V8's from Lexus is well documented, and your £300 is just a fraction of the whole costs involved. Unless you want to do it all yourself, for the love of the work it will never be cost effective, you'll have a lot of money invested in a mongrel that's worth not a lot at all. There are exceptions where the whole car is done to an exceptional standard with expensive leather trim in an immaculate shell like whathisname on here did. But ask him just how much the custom exhaust alone cost (I suggested a top notch UK fabricator and the result is stunning, but such workmanship does not come cheap), before thinking this is a cheap DIY option. I would suggest you forget it myself. The costs will be far far higher than you probably imagine. Just buy a V8 Soarer for next to nothing.

The fitting of the various V8's from Lexus is well documented, and your £300 is just a fraction of the whole costs involved. Unless you want to do it all yourself, for the love of the work it will never be cost effective, you'll have a lot of money invested in a mongrel that's worth not a lot at all. There are exceptions where the whole car is done to an exceptional standard with expensive leather trim in an immaculate shell like whathisname on here did. But ask him just how much the custom exhaust alone cost (I suggested a top notch UK fabricator and the result is stunning, but such workmanship does not come cheap), before thinking this is a cheap DIY option. I would suggest you forget it myself. The costs will be far far higher than you probably imagine. Just buy a V8 Soarer for next to nothing.

That's a very detailed reply and I appreciate it. Although I'd have appreciated it more if that was the reply in the first place.

I've told the chap I'm going to leave it, as much as I love the v8 noise & feel I'd be creating more work than its worth when I'm trying to build a fund for new oem parts here & there to store for when it's time to sell.