The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alternator Replacement - rusted lower nut and bolt

parasight

Hello,

So I've been under the car to try and undo the lower nut and bolt to hold the alternator. It appears to be rusted solid. Any idea what I could do? Don't have access to a welder, and I can't use a breaker since it's at such an odd angle.

I've put a picture in so that you can see what it looks like. I swear it looks like it was manufactured as a single casting.

IMAG2414.jpg

I changed mine the other week, it looked in considerably better condition! Is the plastic tray from under the car missing?

I also did mine from above. Plenty of room once I'd removed... Air box, fan cowl, fan blades, fan cover, top rad hose! Pita.

Persist and use WD40 I guess.

Good luck.

Yeah I have the lower plastic cover but it's a bit ragged. Managed to remove the upper bolt just fine, as well as the plastic clip connector. The other side was inaccessible, and the shroud and fan was a bit of a chicken and egg (which goes off first?!), so I just went under. Sadly this came to my attention. Oh well.

Also, seems strange that there are two separate types of nuts and bolts for upper and lower mounts.

I looked up toyodiy for a guideline price for an OEM unit and it was $$$ ; I never checked with Toyota Ireland , just an option

I am not big into refurbished units , got an Alternator refurbished on my Ae111 Levin and it never was right , always whining over a certain rpm

Driftmotion also do Alternators too

http://www.driftmotion.com/240AMP-Mechman-1JZ-2JZ-Alternator-p/dm3160.htm

Probably cheaper off SRD for the mechman

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?292962-SRD-170amp-Alternators

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)