The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new member, modified mk2 focus st

Guest lukehurt

Guest lukehurt

Been looking at part ex my focus st, ive had it over 4 years now and i find my self looking at a new car, it has a hybrid turbo and all other bolt ons, lowering springs rarb ect powers around 350bhp its been a very reliable family car..

Now get to the point i love the look of the supra and the twin turbo engine but what im worried about can it be used day to day like the focus does i have two young children and it will need to go to the shops, work every day holidays ect.. (i do about 8k a year)

I know the supra is a far superior machine compared to the ford but will a 20 year old car still serve as a day to day car??

Thanks and sorry for the long first post ☺

I know the supra is a far superior machine compared to the ford but will a 20 year old car still serve as a day to day car??

Hello !!

The supra is used by memebers on here as a daily driver and the car itself is up for the challenge of been driven daily, it is a reliable car but with its age rubber items can and may perish, therefore when looking at cars you will need to keep in mind the some oil seals could be seeping and the bushes could be warn.

Another thing to consider if a supra is replacing your family car is the rear seats are tiny, only really good for little people or your shopping

Guest lukehurt

Thanks for your reply, yeh 7 years old and 1, didn't realise how bucket type the rear seats are, does look as it could be a problem with the baby seats and booster.

I used mine as a daily drive for just over 3 years, It served me well. It has since become my toy and I now have a passat TDI as a run-a-round and it saves me more money having two cars! something to consider, but reliability shouldn't be to much of a problem if you buy a good one. Be aware though that they are old cars and there is plenty that have been neglected, things such as suspension, brakes, crank pulley, should be done sooner rather than later.

There is a good buyers guide on here, take your time and have a read and be sure to wait for a good example dont rush.

Baby seats can be found for the rear bench but you are limited to a handfull from what I have read on here previously.

Buy 2 cars will save you money the sup and a cheap but safe run around for the family. The supra can be run as a daily but a family car it is not if I. Had kids I'd get away with it as I'm small and so is the misses... Have you considered an a astrio it has same engine and 4 doors. :)

There a very over engineered car and the best of its time and in my opinion the very best car toyota manufactured to this date.

It's reliable but as said check seals and rubbers

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Firstly hi mate, dont think about going and buying a car from these lot. Their cars are all dodgy. Clocked back mileage and stuff. If you want a nice example buy one from the club and everyone knows its history. I used my supra when it was twin turbo everyday and it was great. However it can be juicy. Buy a cheap runaround and a supra. Perfect combo

Guest lukehurt

I know what your saying but it has to be turbocharged id feel as im going backwards from the focus, ive also been looking at r33 gtr skylines but they just dont sound like they have the reliability of a supra??

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. Sorry if nissan is a swear word on here

The GTRs are great cars in their own way, but build quality is not a scratch on a Supra.

Supras are practical for what they are (with the rear seat folded), and are reliable. But if you've got a couple of kids it will be a pain to use as a daily.

As has been mentioned before, you're probably best getting something safe, practical and boring for the daily, and saving the Supra for weekends.

Guest lukehurt
The GTRs are great cars in their own way, but build quality is not a scratch on a Supra.

Supras are practical for what they are (with the rear seat folded), and are reliable. But if you've got a couple of kids it will be a pain to use as a daily.

As has been mentioned before, you're probably best getting something safe, practical and boring for the daily, and saving the Supra for weekends.

I think this is going to be the only option, get a diesel vw or ford for shifting the kids about

then use the supra for myself going to work and weekends